• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Catkin says he is feeling better...

crackerz

Alpha Buck
Catkin would like me to pass on the news to all at RU that he is feeling much better. :)

Link to thread about Catkin being poorly

He was very hungry when he got back from the vets yesterday and nommed up most of his tea. (He even tried to steal one of my biscuits...) The zantac seems to be taking effect. Catters was sat with me on the sofa last night and there was distinct bunny bottom smells wafting from his direction....It is a good job we didn't have any candles lit - the house may have blown up:lol:

This morning he was sat having a very thorough wash which is good news as he was starting to honk a little bit.

Here is a pic of him on my bed looking very handsome.

Photo-0004_1.jpg

And here is a comical pic of him after he had just flopped down next to the radiator (it was still warm).

Photo-0003_1.jpg

I'm soooo pleased for you all. That's fantastic news :D:D:D:D
Yep they tend to be a bit whiffy (gas, gas, gas,) after gut problems.
Everything crossed for some nice poops and a speedy recovery. :D:D:D:D

How has catkin been over the day crackerz?

He has been alot better. He is taking more interest in what the other buns are doing and sits by their indoor setup. He is flopping and lying out more instead of sitting hunched up which is a good sign I think.

He has been pooing everywhere:shock: There are millions of little poos all over the place, I can't clean up after him quick enough:lol::lol:

The zantac really seems to be doing the trick. He is eating moistened pellets and has a little bit of fruit last night. He had a tiny bit of melon as I thought it would be a sneaky way of getting some more fluid into him. He loved it and even came looking for more, but I told him he couldn't as it might upset his tummy. He was clambering all over me looking for more treats:lol:

I am so happy he is feeling better. He looks alot brighter and happier. He didn't half give me a scare.

Hurrah Im soooo pleased your handsome little man is feeling better and is at last on the mend :D that's great news and its such a relief when they start eating!!

He has been alot better. He is taking more interest in what the other buns are doing and sits by their indoor setup. He is flopping and lying out more instead of sitting hunched up which is a good sign I think.

He has been pooing everywhere:shock: There are millions of little poos all over the place, I can't clean up after him quick enough:lol::lol:

The zantac really seems to be doing the trick. He is eating moistened pellets and has a little bit of fruit last night. He had a tiny bit of melon as I thought it would be a sneaky way of getting some more fluid into him. He loved it and even came looking for more, but I told him he couldn't as it might upset his tummy. He was clambering all over me looking for more treats:lol:

I am so happy he is feeling better. He looks alot brighter and happier. He didn't half give me a scare.

Wonderful news!!:D:D:D:D
You've done a great job, crackerz.

My bun used to get lower gut slow down, & occasional blockage.
Cucumber introduced gradually is good for fluid & has less sugar ;)
When he is back on track, it helped my bun to increase his fiber intake & reduce sugars & starch. You'll have to watch Catkins weight though, cos he's a little bun.

Zantac is great for a slow lower gut, but it's important to always get a vet to examine him before you use it another time. Did catkin do any soft squidgy poops before he had the blockage?(uneaten caecotrophs)

I don't recall any uneaten caecotrophs. He has always had spells where his poo is funny shapes, ie not quite round. And he has always been a very fussy eater. But I put that down to his teeth.

Catkin: Ooo...Beau, you must be a very beautiful bunny. My hoomins call me 'The Professor' cos I look so distingushed. I am an expert in cushions and quilts. I test all the soft furnishings in the house.

I don't recall any uneaten caecotrophs. He has always had spells where his poo is funny shapes, ie not quite round. And he has always been a very fussy eater. But I put that down to his teeth.

Don't I know the problem!! I've got a dental/gut bun too. I'm rapidly going gray!!
The poo goes funny shapes mainly when the lower gut slows down.
The natural way to stimulate the lower gut is with fiber, hay is easiest as always available, but mine won't eat much cos it's too dry & he's got a sensitive mouth. A natural addition is the bark from some deciduous tree twigs. If you live near the country. I've just been told of a pony feed which helps dental bunnies get more fiber in.

I don't want to detract from your joy & relief in the slightest. I just don't want anyone to go through what we went through, for so long.

Thanks for that info Thumps. I have been reading about fibreplex (and I remember getting some from the vet when daz had an abcess). Is it possible to give Catkin some of that on a regular basis as well?

Yes, you can, & it's probably your best solution.
Really hoping all goes well for you both from now on!:wave:

Back