• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch Insulation/Temperature

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
Did a bit of extra insulating earlier this evening. I've foiled the roof and mesh front and covered the roof in bubble wrap, over the whole thing is a folded sheet and inside is filled with hay/straw.

I thought I'd give it a check and take some temperature readings... I heated a snugglesafe and changed the water (wrapped in snug) about 7pm and put it in so that's about 5hrs ago. It's been around freezing all evening and we've had 2" of snow.

Outside next to hutch 1oC
Living Area of hutch 6oC
Air in Bed area 9oC
Straw directly over heatpad 17oC
Heatpad 20+

We then spent half an hour chasing Gypsy around the garden in the snow to get her back in the run :lol:

Ooh interesting! We insulated our hutch too, nice to know it really does make a difference! Might have to go buy a thermometer and measure ours...

That's good to know that insulation makes that much difference - we've got similar insulation on our hutches :D

It was definately a lot milder last night, we had no problems with freezing bowls. I was actually relieved to see the snow arrive as it kept the temperature up :)

Don't think it is goin to help with temperatures from tonight onwards though :?

Back