• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nipping!

dlmac02

New Kit
Hi All,

We've had our 2 bunnies now for about 6 weeks and they're all settled in. However Jonquil is a bit of a nipper literally! Sometimes she will paw at me then start nibbling my clothes or just start nibbling. I don't mind my clothes as I have dedicated bunny clothes however sometimes she misses or goes through my clothes and nips my skin. Tonight I was cleaning out the sawdust when she came up behind me and bit my bum - which really hurt!!

Is this behaviour grooming or is she telling me something else?! Also if anyone has any sugestions on how to stop her it would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Yes she has been spayed so it's not that. She is by far the dominant bunny in the relationship with Paddy - she has tendancies to hump him sometimes but she hasn't done this in while

some websites say its a normal rabbit sign of affection. tabby used to do it. she grew out of it.

Bella will creep up behind me and nip my bum when she wants to play,when I turn around to check what she's doing she runs off binkying :lol:

She doesn't do it viciously so it possibly is a sign of affection however she won't let me show her any! she won't keep still long enough for me to stroke her - still love her though x

In the wild buns nip to move things out of their way. If they're digging a burrow and a tree root is there, they nip it off. She might just want you to move!

teddy would nip me if she's fed up/looking attention or sometimes just for fun, she usually goes for my boobs as well lol, i just come to ignore it, trust me a nip is way better than a biter. you can each do a high pitch squeal when she does it or shout no. teddy used to be really bad when she was a baby she doesn't do it so often now.

Desmond used to nip me to make me move or for tickles. Hurt a little but never drew blood. Lola did the same when she was little but has grown out of it!!

Daisy nips me sometimes when she wants me to move out of her way. When I'm sitting on the floor with the bunnies she quite often nips my clothing to tell me it's time to go now :roll: :lol:

Over the years a couple of mine have nipped me on occasion when I'm cleaning & tidying their area/cages. On the whole they seem to grow out of it, though Django still does it sometimes.

I just see it as him being a grumpy or sulky child who doesn't like having their 'space'/bedroom cleaned or tidied. If it's not viciously done (and I'm sure you'd know if it was) I wouldn't worry too much about it - they are just trying to get your attention/tell you something. I either ignore it, or if it's a particularly hard nip, give a short little squeal and say No firmly. He will then just kick his back feet in the air & binky off :roll:

yup i used to get nipped in the bum to shove out the way, also used to get nipped on the hand for either fussing to much or not enough, or for giving the food bowl quick enough you cant win with a bunny :roll::lol:

Back