• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Guinea pigs in snow?

Lillian

Warren Veteran
The bunnies usually are let out to play in the snow, but what about guinea pigs? I have 4 outdoor guineas and they are used to having garden access all year round.. but should they be shut in when theres snow?

The bunnies usually are let out to play in the snow, but what about guinea pigs? I have 4 outdoor guineas and they are used to having garden access all year round.. but should they be shut in when theres snow?

I wouldn't let mine out. In my experience, Guinea Pigs are even more delicate than buns and, as their bodies are so close to the ground, they will feel the cold a lot quicker.

I definately wouldn't put them out. They have really short legs so their lungs ect are really close to the ground and will get really wet and cold :wave:

:shock: You might lose them in the snow ! Its quite deep here, I would have thought it was too cold for them - I thought they were originally from quite warm climates - don't shoot me down on this I don't know much about little guineas at all except they are so sweeeeeeeeet :lol:

:shock: You might lose them in the snow ! Its quite deep here, I would have thought it was too cold for them - I thought they were originally from quite warm climates - don't shoot me down on this I don't know much about little guineas at all except they are so sweeeeeeeeet :lol:

So very true! :love::love::love:

From what I remember the ideal temperature for guinea pigs is 18 degrees, whereas a rabbit burrow is generally a steady 7 degrees in both summer and winter :?

I don't really know anything about guineas, they belong to my mum.
Hmm might have to keep the hutch covered over tomorrow to prevent them getting a chill :?
They are packed in with bedding at the moment :lol:

I read that they shouldn't go out on grass between October and May due to the risk of respiratory problems but I don't know if that is over cautious:?

Mine have access to their run all day and night. So if it snows they can if they want to go out and play, which they do and enjoy.
They soon come in if they want to.
They've been happy to do that for the last 11years so I'm not going to stop them now.:)

They also go out in the grass run all year round as well but I don't tend to put them on frosted grass or out in a run full of snow.

Mine have a double hutch with a section of fenced off garden, we open their door, so they have a choice to stay in the hutch or come out. When it snowed last year we kept them locked in.

Mine are allowed to come out all year long, didn't know it could bad respiratory wise :?

The advise I have read says they shouldn't go on the grass when its wet so I certainly wouldn't allow them in the snow - there are always people who do and get away with this sort of thing but I know I wouldn't! My girls have moved in to my son's playhouse, in their hutch and run and are usually found tucked up in their "Cat Cave" (one of those pyramid shaped padded cat beds I got for £5) amongst the fleeces, they come out to eat but don't bother if they need the loo! Maybe I've made them soft :lol:

Bunnies have thick padding on the bottom of their feet, so it's like them wearing extremely thick socks, whereas guineapigs have skin, so can you imagine going out in the snow bare feet? :mrgreen:
I've stopped letting my guineapigs go outside in cold/wetter climates as I'm worried for them as they should be used to higher temperatures.

I keep my guinea pigs indoors and let them them out into a huge run, but NEVER on wet grass or snow. I wont be lettting my piggies outside for awhile yet, they have an indoor run during winter.

even i've had the 'how cold is it?' panic and my 4 are now indoors (they were in a heated brick built outhouse but it still felt cold to me - esp checking their water again before i went to bed:shock: plus cleaning them out was horrible with numb fingers:().

i don't let mine out when its really cold - in all honesty, i don't think they'd go even if they had the option - whhhheeeeeeeeeekkkkk i'm cold!

Ours are usually out all year round but I haven't let them out today as its so thick I was worried they'd get lost :oops:

I've bought my 2 girlies in now because althought they seem to be coping ok with the cold and we've not much snow here they just spend all day tucked up In their bed of hay. I don't really want them to do that all winter as they must be fed up of just sitting in one place all day so now they are indoors in a playpen with hours of access to the bathrom for a run round which they're doing now. I tried keeping them out but was so worried about them.

Back