• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Removeing an eye - sight going in other eye too

Rachel89

Mama Doe
Iv'e been speaking alot to my vet about this as shes suggesting that it would be a good idea.

I just wondered if anyone had an experience, mainly with the op and afterwards.

Just some stories/experiences.

I think Iv'e def made my mind up but I don't know anyone that has had this done with a rabbit before :)

Also Honeys sight in her left eye is deteriateing hugely, does anyone have any experience with eyesight deteriating in the other eye? How well do they cope and what things can I do to make her life easier.

Sorry for rambeling, I don't really have many friends with rabbits :oops: :)

My Summer had her eye removed not so long ago. She coped amazingly well with it, not a bit of bother at all. After care didn't involve much, just antibiotics, pain relief and occasional cleaning, though i tried not to where possible as the area was tender.
She is also almost blind in her remaining eye, and again, she is not in the sligtest bit bothered. I tell her when i am going to do something, so i say "pick up" to lift her, "over you go" if she is going to someone else and "down you pop" before i put her back. I dont know if she understands, but it makes me feel better.
We did at the time consider getting her other eye removed, but decided as long as it is not causing bother, to leave it.
She adores her partner Giles, she does bump into him, but he just looks at her wondering what the fuss is about. Summer is incredibly laid back and has adapted very well.

I really hope the operation is a success with Honey. I know i was petrafied, so i understand how you will be feeling, but i am sure your wee bunny will be just fine :).

Pics after the op, just for your reference so you know what to expect.

Flynnhoppong018.jpg

Flynnhoppong029.jpg

Flynnhoppong026.jpg

Flynnhoppong034.jpg

helix021.jpg

30dec09017.jpg

Thankyou so much thats brilliant.

Your pictures don't look as bad as I thought, I was a little worried it would look abit freaky or not too nice with the stitches but its so neat :oops: :)

I normally talk to Honey when I do things too, more for my own benefit too, always worried I'm going to make her jump or frighten her :oops:

Just to say all the very best for Honey and i know there a few people on here who have been through it so i'm sure they will offer you support and advice x

my bunny had her eye removed and i was terrified! she ate straight away and was back to normal in days! it didn't seem to bother her much at all and coped very well.
I think it is worse for us than them as it just seems such a horrifying thing to do doesn't it but please don't worry.

i took on a bun called stitch and i looked after and rehomed him to vicky on here, he sadly died later of unconnected accident, but he coped very well with only one eye his remaining eye had poor is any vision in it and as long as things werent moved around he was fine as a house rabbit he couldnt deal with new spaces well and like d to sit on your feet so he knew where you were but otherwise apart from the obvious (startled a bit quicker etc) he was fine adn normal. x

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=172384&highlight=barney

Helen has a bunny called Barney who has now had both eyes removed, he simply looks like a bunny who has both eyes shut. He manages quite well with his partner.

Hi there.

Janice is right, our bunny Barney lost an eye which was a terrible mess and got around fine with his remaining one. Gradually the remaining one became damaged too with internal bleeding and a cataract developing. He had it tested with a tonopen to measure the pressure as his behaviour had changed to being subdued and in pain. His eye pressure was high so the vet recommended removal. He flew throught the op last spring and loves life. At first we thought he'd find it difficult to get around so didn't change anything about his set up so he knew where he was, but having moved him twice in the last few months (yesterday being the latest to a better insulated wendy house with his wife), he gets around fine. He does everything that a sighted bunny does except binky. One thing is that he prefers not to be picked up - obviously he has no ability to see what is happening to him and I could be a preditor for all he knows.

IMG_2147.jpg

IMG_2145.jpg

Last edited:
Thankyou so much thats brilliant.

Your pictures don't look as bad as I thought, I was a little worried it would look abit freaky or not too nice with the stitches but its so neat :oops: :)

I normally talk to Honey when I do things too, more for my own benefit too, always worried I'm going to make her jump or frighten her :oops:

I must admit, i was very worried i would find Summer's missing eye a bit freaky too :oops: but i was really relieved and pleased with the result :).

Thanks everyone, I feel abit more relieved now. Going to ring up tomorrow and book her in to have it done.

Sorry going to ask another question now :lol: Honeys not been bonded yet, we had several failed attempts with Blue and another bun at our local rescue.
Has anyone even bonded a bunny after an eye removal?

I really want her to have a friend but now I'm even more worried it may be putting her through even more stress as she gets unsettled easily anyway :?

Back