• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice needed (URGENT!) - Boris isn't well

Oompa-Loompa

Warren Veteran
It's his tummy again :cry: Only this time it's a lot worse. It's swollen and hurting and he hasn't eaten all day :cry: He has been drinking though which is good I suppose. He does seem to have perked up a little bit now and is moving around a bit but he still won't eat anything (tried to syringe feed him even but that stressed him so much,I'm not sure I did it right..:oops:). The emergency vet we have here is :censored: they're not very rabbit savvy,they wouldn't do anything for him last time he was ill and the advice they give is **** basically. He is prone to tummy upsets (usually it's too little fibre (hay) that sets it off) but they normally only last for an hour or two and then he's completely fine. I think there may be something more sinister going on this time :cry: I feel like the worst bunny owner ever, I can't believe I didn't realise how bad this might be until now..I'm not sure I should have rabbits at all,if he doesn't make it it will be my fault entirely :cry: He's obviously in bad pain but it seems like it gets stronger and then fades away,then comes back if you know what I mean?
What I want to know is..what could this be? Gas? A blockage? Stasis? Is there something else I could try to make him eat at least a little bit? Or do you think all hope is lost for my little man :cry:
Thanks in advance.

Is there no other vets in the area you could call for advice? :( It does sound like he needs a vet :( Do you have metacam at home? It sounds as though hes in pain, maybe you could call the vet for a metacam dose? Im not very bunny savvy, hopefully someone will be along soon to help you. Hope bunny will be ok :( xXx

I did have some Metacam left but he was having none of it :( I might be able to find another vet to call for advice but I seriously doubt they would take him in at this time of day. It just doesn't seem to work that way over here. All they do is tell you to wait till morning, and if things haven't improved by then,they book you in for an appointment. Well what if it's too late in the morning :cry:

Oh gosh sorry i just realised your in Sweden :( If you think he has stasis the best thing to do is keep him moving, i know its cruel but it worked for my Ronnie. Can you give him a heatpad?

We've got all our paws crossed here, i hope your boy will be ok overnight :( xXx

You are not a bad bunny owner! Stop that thinking right now, all of our bunnies have or will get ill at some point in their lives it does not reflect on you, it is just like children, would you blame yourself if your child got sick? These things happen, what you need to do now is think positivly for Boris, he will sense your upset so you need to put on a brave face for him.
You will need to see a vet to rule out a blockage as if it is one force feeding him will only make things worse, he NEEDS pain relief if he is to get through this, as Jacks Jane always says is 'A bunny in pain will not eat'.
Keep him hydrated, if he is drinking sufficantly then you do not need to worry but if not you will need to syringe him water or some cooled boiled peppermint/nettle tea.
Also very important is to keep him warm, esspecially in this weather, when bunnies are not well they can not maintain their body temp very well.

Keep us updated, remember it is not your fault!
Thinking of you both.

If he has a history of similar episodes, then it's probably gas. I would usually give infacol (simethicone) or anything else suitable for colic/gripe in infants, probiotics, and pain relief...not sure how many of these you'd be able to get hold of in Sweden though. You can also give him tummy rubs to break up any gas bubbles.

Subcutaneous fluids are often useful in GI episodes because rabbits quickly become dehydrated. You'd probably need a vet to do this for you.

I'm really trying my best to stay calm but finding it difficult :cry: Thanks for your support though,it's helping a bit. I just don't know how on earth I'm gonna be able to get him through this :cry: He's drinking ok on his own so there's no need to syringe him water,thank goodness. But he is in pain and the only bit of Metacam I have left is mixed up with mashed banana and some oats which I tried to syringe feed him. I doubt there is a way of getting him to a vets tonight. :cry: God I hate this country :evil:
ETA: I suppose I could try to give him some tummy rubs and see if that helps..he didn't struggle at all when I picked him up earlier,is that a good sign or bad? He attacked my mum though which he always does :roll:

Last edited:
Update!

Well Boris is feeling better today! :) He has been eating (although perhaps not as much as he would normally),pooing and drinking,hopping around and giving me kisses :love: :) His tummy is still a little bit swollen and seems to be hurting a bit but I've been rubbing it and it seems to help :) I did manage to contact an emergency vet last night when he was really poorly,who adviced me to get him to a proper vets as he didn't think he could do much. But the only "proper" vets that was still open was about an hour away from where I live,the time was about 1 am,mum was out with a bunch of friends and I had no idea when she was coming back. I soon realised I wouldn't be able to get him to a vet in time. So I picked him up and started to rub his tummy,it didn't seem to help at first but I was desperate,so I kept going. And 10 minutes later I walked into his room to see him sat in his litter tray nibbling hay :shock: I've never been so happy before,I was completely over the moon. And he's been keeping it up since :) Surely this is a good sign? :) Is there anything else I should be doing?

It sounds like you are doing an excellent job! Well done for sticking by little Boris I am sure he is very grateful.

Yay! Well done for just trying! It obviously worked. I would keep a close eye on him and then maybe still take him to a vets if he still isnt eating a whole lot or if he gets bad again. But maybe just keep with the tummy rubs for the next few days. Sounds like gas to me though (sorry if I am wrong! :oops:) At least you persisted with the tummy rubs!
Hope Boris is through the worst! :)

He wasn't too keen on the tummy rubs at first but he must have known I was only trying to help because he was really calm :love: But he isn't completely out of the woods yet,I'll certainly be keeping an eye on him. I think it must be gas too..quite a bit of gas by the looks of it :oops: Poor thing. I know how it's like I suppose :oops::lol:

Thanks for your support guys :) Boris is currently free ranging in the living room and he's been binkying like crazy! :D I have to check on him every two seconds because he's so full of mischief :shock: :lol:

Back