• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Access to the run

ShAzZa_UK

New Kit
Hey!

I'm looking at some possible hutches on the net and thought about getting one with an attached run but am still a bit confused on how to go about it :?

I'm at school all day (9am-3pm) and am not when I should let them have access to the run, during the day while I'm not around? I'm just paranoid about them digging out of the run and escaping and I wouldn't be able to do anything about it :(

Is it fair to keep them in all day and let them out in late afternoon/evening?

My bunnies have access to their runs all day, their runs are on paving slabs :) Its much easier if the run is on paving slabs as you can clean the area and with grass, the area can get muddy. I do grow grass in trays for my rabbits :)

Something for you to consider :) xXx

Mine have permanent access to the run because it has a bottom made of mesh too. It just has turf laid on top of the mesh. You could also use mesh and then put paving slabs on top of the mesh panels.

I do think all rabbits should have access to their run for most of the day. You just need to make sure it's secure.

Mine have permanent access to the run because it has a bottom made of mesh too. It just has turf laid on top of the mesh. You could also use mesh and then put paving slabs on top of the mesh panels.

I do think all rabbits should have access to their run for most of the day. You just need to make sure it's secure.

Would you say it would be ok without a mesh or is it recommended?

My bunnies have access to their runs all day, their runs are on paving slabs :) Its much easier if the run is on paving slabs as you can clean the area and with grass, the area can get muddy. I do grow grass in trays for my rabbits :)

Something for you to consider :) xXx

It also stops the little lovelys from digging out, or more worringly from something more sinister from digging in.

Would you say it would be ok without a mesh or is it recommended?

I think you need something underneath. Grass will deteriorate with permenant use, ending up in a mud bath.

As above you really need something on the bottom of it to prevent things like foxes, from getting in, or your rabbits from digging out and escaping.

Last edited:
I do think you need something that is totally unmovable. If they have a concrete floor then I think the run needs to be bolted to the floor. If it's paving slabs then I think the same applies, assuming the paving slabs are on concrete. If it's just earth or grass then I definately think mesh.

Back