• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is there any point vaccinating our bunnies/ UD post 69

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
I am seriously starting to question whether it is in the best interest to vaccinate our rabbits :?

We do have quite a few that can't be vaccinated for health reasons. But of those that are upto date with their vaccinations the majority of them have died within a month or two, some of them within weeks :?

Even though they appear healthy enough to have them they then go one to develop major life threatening problems afterwards. Obviously the vaccinations don't cause these but I am thinking that the vaccination could bring underlying problems to the surface and shorten their lives :(

On saturday we took Revel to the vets for a check up due to him being 9 and a half and he seemed to be slowing down. The vet couldn't find anything specific wrong so gave him his myxi vaccination. Ever since then he has slowed right down to the point I have to encourage him to start eating. He doesn't move around at all now :(

Mr Bigglesworth died 7 days after his last vaccination, Marion died 2 weeks after her vaccination, Ella died a few weeks after her last vaccination, etc etc.

The majority of the bunnies we take in are only with us 3 or 4 months, so the chances of them being around long enough to catch myxi or vhd is slim, and if thats all the time they have then I don't want to shorten it. But on the other hand with having so many rabbits an outbreak of any kind could be devastating :?

Last edited:
I think you're right to question this in elderly or infirm rabbits.

I would certainly never vaccinate a frail bun or one with any signs of not being in full health with the vhd vaccine.
The question of whether an elderly or infirm bun would stand any chance of fighting myxo even if vaccinated could be very slim, and it would probably be too much for the rabbit to try and nurse them through it.

My two older buns, BB and Joey, weren't given vhd this year, as they both had bad reactions to it last year.Joey will no longer have his myxo as he was ill for 6 weeks after his vaccine.

I have asked the same question with our older animals- namely dogs and cats. I came to the conclusion I would continue to vaccinate because I'm pretty sure the injection itself has no relation to the illness and mentally, for me, it felt like I was giving up on them if I didn't vaccinate. There is also the fact that mine are often suffering from a condition that supresses the immune system and that makes them more suseptable to a condition that can be vaccinated against- basically its a catch 22 and you will be left wondering either way!

I think you're right to question this in elderly or infirm rabbits.

I would certainly never vaccinate a frail bun or one with any signs of not being in full health with the vhd vaccine.
The question of whether an elderly or infirm bun would stand any chance of fighting myxo even if vaccinated could be very slim, and it would probably be too much for the rabbit to try and nurse them through it.

My two older buns, BB and Joey, weren't given vhd this year, as they both had bad reactions to it last year.Joey will no longer have his myxo as he was ill for 6 weeks after his vaccine.

What age would you consider to old?

I really don't know what to do for the best, because if we did have an outbreak I would never forgive myself and I can imagine what others would say if they knew we didn't vaccinate :?

Maybe we could compromise and just vaccinate for myxi once a year, just a thought :?

I have asked the same question with our older animals- namely dogs and cats. I came to the conclusion I would continue to vaccinate because I'm pretty sure the injection itself has no relation to the illness and mentally, for me, it felt like I was giving up on them if I didn't vaccinate. There is also the fact that mine are often suffering from a condition that supresses the immune system and that makes them more suseptable to a condition that can be vaccinated against- basically its a catch 22 and you will be left wondering either way!

Thats how I feel.

I know it isn't about money either but practically speaking it is costing us around £2000 a year for vaccinations maybe more, partly because of the high "turn over" of buns we have. We could use that money to get more routine blood tests etc to make sure we catch problems earlier and give them a better chance of lengthening their lives :?

I think this will attract a lot of differences in opinion. I personally think it's a really good point. Same with all vaccines for all animals really. I saw a documentary some years ago about a very successful dog breeder (really lovely and very responsible) she was very very experienced and had made the decision not to vaccinate her dogs unless they were likely to go into a 'kennel' environment or leave the country. She had found that the damage to the liver or kidneys - I forget which now thats caused by the vaccinations every year outweighed the benefits to something they may never need protection against anyway. There was lot of debate including vets (one even agreed with her although the majority couldn't = ££££££), it's a consideration I would say in compromised bunsters. The vaccines don't offer complete immunity anyway, personally I wouldn't vaccinate if they are elderly or infirm in anyway, but would take lots of other precautions with regards mossie nets and hosing the garden if there are lots of 'wild' animals coming into their area.

Thats how I feel.

I know it isn't about money either but practically speaking it is costing us around £2000 a year for vaccinations maybe more, partly because of the high "turn over" of buns we have. We could use that money to get more routine blood tests etc to make sure we catch problems earlier and give them a better chance of lengthening their lives :?

I know what you mean, but because of our high turn over in cats, especially, I vaccinate- Felv can be vaccinated against, but at some point I may take a carrier in without knowing. That would, also, be my worry with buns, it would just take one who is incubting myxo or a VHD carrier and you have an outbreak. Like I say- you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.:(

I think this will attract a lot of differences in opinion. I personally think it's a really good point. Same with all vaccines for all animals really. I saw a documentary some years ago about a very successful dog breeder (really lovely and very responsible) she was very very experienced and had made the decision not to vaccinate her dogs unless they were likely to go into a 'kennel' environment or leave the country. She had found that the damage to the liver or kidneys - I forget which now thats caused by the vaccinations every year outweighed the benefits to something they may never need protection against anyway. There was lot of debate including vets (one even agreed with her although the majority couldn't = ££££££), it's a consideration I would say in compromised bunsters. The vaccines don't offer complete immunity anyway, personally I wouldn't vaccinate if they are elderly or infirm in anyway, but would take lots of other precautions with regards mossie nets and hosing the garden if there are lots of 'wild' animals coming into their area.

You see I wonder about this- all cats and dogs over 10 here are blood tested yearly, and all are vaccinated yearly once they get here- none of the dogs we have had from pups have shown problems before the age of 12 and the the cats I've had from young havwe developed kidney problems from the age of 15, the same as cats who have an unknown history. Personally I would go for vaccines- which deal with deadly diseases from a young age compared to problems which MAY develop in old age, and can often be managed!:?

I'd deffinitely vaccinate VHD, without a doubt.. but I'm losing my faith in myxomatosis vaccinations. So many vaccinated bunnies are getting it and still dieing..

You see I wonder about this- all cats and dogs over 10 here are blood tested yearly, and all are vaccinated yearly once they get here- none of the dogs we have had from pups have shown problems before the age of 12 and the the cats I've had from young havwe developed kidney problems from the age of 15, the same as cats who have an unknown history. Personally I would go for vaccines- which deal with deadly diseases from a young age compared to problems which MAY develop in old age, and can often be managed!:?

:wave: I am not saying what anyone personally should do - it really is up to the individual to research and choose for themselves based upon the 'risk' of contact with the disease being vaccinated against. I have known dogs to be vaccinated as puppies and have the booster then no more and live to a really good age, obviously because they don't come into contact with the disease. If they are not likely to be kennelled or go abroad or 'sniff other dogs & poop' they are quite low risk, however I do accept that it could be low risk because dogs are vaccinated. I can't speak about cats but, I would imagine it's more risky as they are outdoors roaming animals who eat other animals like birds and mice etc. With bunnies I would imagine that as they get older and if they are ill anyway then the 'stress' factor has to be considered aswell. Gizmo was fit as a flea - he had myxi then 2 weeks later vhd then 3 weeks later neutered and his little back was hairless in places and it's taken a good month to build him back up, he wasn't poorly as such but, I noticed it had taken it out of him and he is young (6 months and healthy). I would imagine with an underlying health condition it might just be too much to risk it, especially when there is no guarantee an infected mossie might get them? It's a toughie ..........:?

I'd deffinitely vaccinate VHD, without a doubt.. but I'm losing my faith in myxomatosis vaccinations. So many vaccinated bunnies are getting it and still dieing..

But vhd vacine has more side effects and it has less outbreaks :?

What about homeopathic vaccines?

What age would you consider to old?

I really don't know what to do for the best, because if we did have an outbreak I would never forgive myself and I can imagine what others would say if they knew we didn't vaccinate :?

Maybe we could compromise and just vaccinate for myxi once a year, just a thought :?

I think it would depend on the rabbit and their health. Joey is 8 and he cannot cope with any vaccines now - he's been very ill after both the vhd and myxo, yet was in pretty rude health beforehand (and happily seems to be again!) BB,my frenchie, is coming upto 5yrs,but has had several surgeries and so is fairly frail. She has myxo, but will not have vhd again in the forseeable future. The other 6 have bi-annual myxo and annual vhd.

In reality if you had a myxo outbreak, given that the majority of your rabbits are generally frail, they would stand very little chance against even the nodular form of myxo.

Oscar (new foster bun, but who lived in appalling conditions for4 years) was in seemingly good health until he was vaccinated recently, and it has just knocked him off his feet, and with hindsight, vaccination was not right for him.

Apparently though they do have a better chance of survival if vaccinated, assuming they are healthy enough for the vaccine :? I know of a couple of people who had rabbits years ago and never had them vaccinated for anything and 1 lived to be 12 years of age!:shock:

VHD is the one I'd absolutely avoid if the rabbit wasn't in good health.

What an awful dilemma for you. I can totally understand why you are thinking the way you are. :(

When I had to decide what to do about my bunnies' vaccinations when they weren't in good health, my vet advised to vaccinate for myx and not VHD. In the end I made the decision to vaccinate for neither.

Do you mind me asking how long you have rescued/looked after/owned rabbits? I am only asking because I think you already know in your heart what the right decision is but, you are doubting yourself.

I think it would depend on the rabbit and their health. Joey is 8 and he cannot cope with any vaccines now - he's been very ill after both the vhd and myxo, yet was in pretty rude health beforehand (and happily seems to be again!) BB,my frenchie, is coming upto 5yrs,but has had several surgeries and so is fairly frail. She has myxo, but will not have vhd again in the forseeable future. The other 6 have bi-annual myxo and annual vhd.

In reality if you had a myxo outbreak, given that the majority of your rabbits are generally frail, they would stand very little chance against even the nodular form of myxo.

Oscar (new foster bun, but who lived in appalling conditions for4 years) was in seemingly good health until he was vaccinated recently, and it has just knocked him off his feet, and with hindsight, vaccination was not right for him.

Thanks, 14 of ours are 7 years or over and 8 others have health problems rather than physical disabilities :? :?

I just keep thinking that if they have underlying health problems, which most of them seem to have, then vaccinating them is pointless as it either wont work properly, it will make their health problems worse or as you also point out if they do still pick it up they haven't got a great chance of survival :(

Apparently though they do have a better chance of survival if vaccinated, assuming they are healthy enough for the vaccine :? I know of a couple of people who had rabbits years ago and never had them vaccinated for anything and 1 lived to be 12 years of age!:shock:

Oh yes, deffinitely, my perfectly healthy rabbits have had minute side effects because of it.

I'm just wondering if the myxo vaccine saves them from getting it in the firstplace or just gives them a 'better chance.'

Do you mind me asking how long you have rescued/looked after/owned rabbits? I am only asking because I think you already know in your heart what the right decision is but, you are doubting yourself.

I have owned rabbits as an adult for around 12 years, we gradually started taking in more special needs bunnies around 8 years ago. We officially became a "sanctuary" just over 2 years ago but it is over the past year that the bunnies we have taken in have had more serious problems or been closer to the end of their lives. Most people know we lost 29 rabbits last year, nearly everyone of them was upto date with their vaccinations, but was there any point to it?

A few of ours are over due their VHD now as I am questioning whether it is the right thing to do and the majority are due their myxi this month. But looking at Revel I wish I hadn't had him done. I know he is old and tired anyway, but I don't want his last months to be reduced or for him to feel rubbish during them because he was vaccinated :?

Back