• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Right weight?

ajr231

Young Bun
Hi just wondered if people thought my rabbits' weight is about right.
They are miniature lop crosses (so i'm not sure what size they'll grow to be). I had them weighed at the vet and they are 9ish weeks and weigh o.7 and 0.8 kg respectively.
They don't seem skinny or fat but are quite lithe. Sorry to worry just wanted to check if that's about right.

awwwwww tiny.. i think Alvin was about 900g at that age.. cant beleive he was so tiny.. hes a right podger now :lol::lol::lol:

Uh that sounds about right if they are small. Pie is a small 10 month old mini lop and she is 1.68kg which is about 3.7lbs which I beleive is the correct weight for her.

Sounds about right as theyre mini lop x's :) If the vet wasnt concerned im sure theyre ok :) xXx

It's a difficult question to answer really, it's a bit like saying how much should a british woman weigh? There is so much variation, even within breeds, that it's difficult to quantify what is right. According to the BRC breed standard, for example, a netherland dwarf should be "as near as possible to 0.907kg".

My netherland dwarf Dudley weighs 1.3kg - a significant variation from that sizing, but it doesn't make him overweight, it just means that he's a big netherland dwarf. If he weighed 0.907kg he would actually be hideously underweight, even though according to the breed standard, he would be the perfect weight.

What is more important is the constitution of the individual - when you stroke over their back, can you feel the spine? You should be able to feel it a little, but you should not be able to feel hips jutting out or be able to feel along the sides, rather than just the top of the spine - that would indicate an underweight bunny. An overweight bunny might mean that you can't feel its ribs or spine at all, and you may be able to see large folds of skin on the rabbit. Bizarrely, it's quite hard to tell whether a bun is over or underweight just from its belly, they mostly seem to have quite round bellies even if they are starving and dangerously underweight.

So, quite a wordy answer, but really there is so much variation that you could do more harm than good by looking at how much a particular breed "should" weigh and using that as a comparator for whether any individual bun is a healthy weight :)

Back