• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Choking Due To Liquid?

*Spider*

Wise Old Thumper
The 3 foster boys were scrambling for their water bottle as I freshly filled it up (had been frozen :roll:) so decided to give them a large bowl, so they could lap it up and then give them their water and close them up (hutch protection - also stops bottle from freezing.)

Frosty and Gabriel happily lapped up the water but Whisper was sort of gulping it, and then choking :? He kept doing it and then was reluctantly drinking and then so did it very carefully.

Do you reckon he just tried to drink the water too quickly (as he's not used to a bowl?)

As soon as they were all finished, they had the bowl taken away from them, and they're all now completely normal, running about causing havoc :roll:

Have your bunnies done this?

It also reminds me of a clip of Lauralou's Carlton. He was eating a grape, pauses and sort of chokes and carries on as normal... :?

From the sounds of it it was probably because he was drinking too quickly. Does he normally use a water bowl? If not then maybe it was a combination of that and drinking too quickly.

I would just keep an eye on him when drinking and see if he does it again.

Well this is what I thought, but, it was like he was gagging, but I know bunnies do not have a gag reflex :?

choking

The 3 foster boys were scrambling for their water bottle as I freshly filled it up (had been frozen :roll:) so decided to give them a large bowl, so they could lap it up and then give them their water and close them up (hutch protection - also stops bottle from freezing.)

Frosty and Gabriel happily lapped up the water but Whisper was sort of gulping it, and then choking :? He kept doing it and then was reluctantly drinking and then so did it very carefully.

Do you reckon he just tried to drink the water too quickly (as he's not used to a bowl?)

As soon as they were all finished, they had the bowl taken away from them, and they're all now completely normal, running about causing havoc :roll:

Have your bunnies done this?

It also reminds me of a clip of Lauralou's Carlton. He was eating a grape, pauses and sort of chokes and carries on as normal... :?

rabbits can cough,but because they lack the muscles to throw up,,they tend to choke and suffocate(dead)at the same time..//..all my rabbits are indoor--it helps ease the burdon of the diagnosis//-fewer medical problems//offering water in a bowl is a natural way for them to drink,,i offer water in bowl and bottle,,kind of a backup system//.we had a teddy bear hamster die because of a faulty water bottle dispenser/very sad,,,sincerely jam,es waller:wave:

The description of a "gulping" sound when Whisper drinks reminds me of Thumper when he needs his tiny molar spurs burring. [They're on the tongue side of the molars] I'd have her teeth checked.

Back