• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pearl..

donnamt

Wise Old Thumper
i have noticed over the last few days shes not munching hay like she used to.. she is still going in the litter tray a few times during the day but scarily i think Alvin is actually eating more hay than her at the moment :shock:

she gobbles up all food i give to her veg and pellets but im scared her gut will stop if she loses the will to eat hay :(

if she stops the hay munching how will i keep her gut going?

really really dont want this to be our last few days, but if her guts stop it would be cruel to keep her going.. her poops are now the same size as Alvins possibly smaller, i think ive seen the last of those huge golden poops she used to do for her mom :cry::cry::cry:

If she's eating pellets then her gut is still moving. A common cause of why they stop eating hay is pain from their teeth grinding, has she had a dental check recently? As long as she is eating and drinking and pooing then she should be okay. Maybe she just didn't like one particular batch of hay?

If she's eating pellets then her gut is still moving. A common cause of why they stop eating hay is pain from their teeth grinding, has she had a dental check recently? As long as she is eating and drinking and pooing then she should be okay. Maybe she just didn't like one particular batch of hay?

her heart is failing :cry::cry:. its deffo not her teeth.

She will go off some foods now Donna. Usually hay is the first, then pellets.

As long as she has a bit going in and a bit coming out then she is coping as best she can. It may be easier for her to eat pellets/veg than hay because of her breathing difficulties.

You are doing just brilliantly by her Donna. She couldn't want for a better Mom xx

but i dont want her to go off hay.. really is the end when she stops eating :cry::cry::cry:

i just did her some banana mush with avipro and she got the bum twitch :love::love: then chased alvin for a crunchie thing :roll:

think i need to somehow hang hay so she dont have to put her head down to eat it :?

My bun Bramble has never eaten hay, or grass, he eats apple and leaves the peel, he won't eat carrot unless you grate it... he had his first dental at three years, which is when his picky veg peel habits came about, but he has never eaten hay or grass >.< he does eat rose petals, and pompom bush leaves and flowers... He doesn't seem to have had any trouble from not eating hay though, and he's got plenty of veggies and green fodder to eat :)

My bun Bramble has never eaten hay, or grass, he eats apple and leaves the peel, he won't eat carrot unless you grate it... he had his first dental at three years, which is when his picky veg peel habits came about, but he has never eaten hay or grass >.< he does eat rose petals, and pompom bush leaves and flowers... He doesn't seem to have had any trouble from not eating hay though, and he's got plenty of veggies and green fodder to eat :)

:D:D:D thats good to know.. ill keep her going with veg and *whispers* pellets :D:D

We have plenty of bunnies here who can't eat hay and they have never had any more gut problems than any of the other rabbits.

If it is due to her breathing problems then maybe chopping it up might help so it is easier to pick up. Or maybe try some dried herbs instead especially the ones that aid digestion :) Just a thought :wave:

does she have a particularly fave hay? i got some compacted herbal hay for mine and it kind of clumps together a bit so you could probably rig something up so she didn;t have to put her head down:? (i know what i mean:oops:)

Awwh bless her :( Maybe you could get one of those hay balls to attach to the side of their crate/pen? Then she wouldnt have to bend down :love: Sending vibes for your baby xXx

Aw bless her hun, Lionel is not eating so much hay now either, his poos are tiny, the size of pin heads and only have a little bit of gold in them. I did see him eating some earlier and he had his head as far back as it would go he was literally vertical, i might try chopping it for him. I am sure she will be fine just nibbling a bit as long as she is eating other things xx

I wish I'd known earlier. Be encouraged by what my bun's doing at the mo. & surprisingly not having GI issues. :shock: I'd just let her eat what she wants from veg & pellet & chop her veg to make it easier to chew.

shes eating as much hay as she needs to keep herself ticking along now i think. i just wish i could stop her dashing about when she thinks im taking them pellets, she really pays for it after :(

Back