• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dust free hay - stalky or soft?

Glingle

Warren Veteran
The buns usually chomp their way through Dust Free Hay stalky hay, but the website says the've only got soft hay in at the moment. Anyone know the difference between the two, or should I hope that the sack I've got lasts out until they get the stalky hay back in stock? Knew I should have stocked up well before Christmas...

Erm well soft is soft and stalky is stalky, exactly as it says. Stalky tends to be coarser and thicker so helps the buns teeth more.

Mine will stick her nose up at anything apart from grass or alfalfa hay :roll: and it has to be supa soft, the stalky stuff she will tip out and make a bed out of it.

no stalky left *faints* i had to get the american timothy hay instead which they haven't had before. should be ok as they seem to like most hays. they like both the soft and stalky from dustfreehay. :wave:

Mine go mad for the stalky one, but beings as the dust free hay co. had run out back in Dec I ordered them the soft one and some timothy hay (they normally have western willows timothy). They love the american timothy hay but turn their noses up at the soft hay. I'm mean, I'm forcing them to eat it by only giving them one type each day instead of their usual several piles of different ones.

Coincidentally I emailed the dust free hay company today to ask when the will have stalky stuff back in, they hope to have some in a couple of weeks time.

Erm well soft is soft and stalky is stalky, exactly as it says. Stalky tends to be coarser and thicker so helps the buns teeth more.
:lol: That made me giggle!

Mine go mad for the stalky one, but beings as the dust free hay co. had run out back in Dec I ordered them the soft one and some timothy hay (they normally have western willows timothy). They love the american timothy hay but turn their noses up at the soft hay. I'm mean, I'm forcing them to eat it by only giving them one type each day instead of their usual several piles of different ones.

Coincidentally I emailed the dust free hay company today to ask when the will have stalky stuff back in, they hope to have some in a couple of weeks time.

Thanks for that BevBunny - alternative hay it is then. Might go mad & get the timothy hay. Thanks too to everyone else for the replies. :wave:

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock: No stalky left!!!! Mine will only eat stalky :shock::shock: Oh-be-jesus...........................

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock: No stalky left!!!! Mine will only eat stalky :shock::shock: Oh-be-jesus...........................

Mine were being a bit like that but today is there second morning of the american timothy hay from DFH company, the weren't really interested in it yesterday but they ate it all overnight, and Darwin nearly knocked me over when I bought the box into the living room this morning! :lol: I think perhaps our bunnies can become creatures of habit. :lol:

I got some soft a while ago when they didn't have stalky available in the £27 hessian sack ... learnt my lesson quickly, as far as Daisy and Jester are concerned it has to be stalky! So I ended up buying the 10 small sacks of stalky a couple of days later and my hay bill for the month was :shock:

I love the soft DFH - smells lovely - shame the bunnies don't think so too :roll:

Back