• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Needle length

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
I'm interested to know what length needles people find best for sub-q injections in rabbits?

I use 5/8, but only because that's what my vet has always given me. They seem a little long for small, thin skinned rabbits though, and sometimes end up sticking straight through the 'tented' skin and out the other side!

Any thoughts?

I use 21G or 23G depending on what I am injecting - some stuff is too thick for the thinner needles.
5/8" is a good length for buns. When you 'tent' the skin to inject do you inject between your finger and thumb through the skin....this really helps me not poke out the otherside! A bit weird though feeling the liquid inside the skin.

I usually use 23 by 5/8 but obviously it varies depending on the bun and the substance being injected! I have the opposite problem to you, if I'm not assertive I don't put it in far enough and end up getting it intradermally and it popping back out again :oops:

I usually use 23g but sometimes 21g for thick liquids.

I do find the 5/8 needles fine for my larger rabbits (dwarf lop size-ish) and for older bucks who tend to have more skin around the neck area...but I have trouble with smaller young rabbits with paper thin skin, because you can't even feel the needle 'popping' through the skin.

Perhaps I'm just a bit heavy handed? :oops:

Back