• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

mucous in poo

biscuitblossom

Warren Veteran
Bugsy has been not keeping himself clean recently and seemed to have 'runny poos' (ceaceotrophs I think :? ) .....Ive had him indoors since yesterday and some of the 'normal' poos seem to have mucous around them ....what would cause that to happen?

Muccous means that the GI tract is irritated for some reason. Could be something he's eaten, lack of fibre, teeth problems, bacterial infection, or even an unrelated illness or stress.

Is he on medication, because that often causes imbalance of the gut flora?

Muccous means that the GI tract is irritated for some reason. Could be something he's eaten, lack of fibre, teeth problems, bacterial infection, or even an unrelated illness or stress.

Is he on medication, because that often causes imbalance of the gut flora?

No hes not on any medication at all ...hes about 9 years old,no spring chicken , I wonder if the cold has affected him ?

The vet was very impressed with his teeth when he had his myxi jab about a month ago,hes never had any problems with them at all ( I do realise that doesnt rule out tooth problems) ....hes not a good hay eater really and the only other thing I can say is that hes not keen on eating his pellets at the moment although any kind of fresh food hes tucking away.

Seeing as he's still eating I'd probably give him a probiotic for a couple of days to see if it clears up. Fibreplex is good because it's probiotic and fibre, but some of mine don't like the taste.

Sending vibes for Bugsy xx

I agree that trying a probiotic for few days if he is well in himself is the best way to go for now. But if that doesn't help I would suggest a vet check and blood tests. From experience with our old buns I have found that there poos can become runny and contain mucus for a variety of reasons, including liver and kidney problems :(

Seeing as he's still eating I'd probably give him a probiotic for a couple of days to see if it clears up. Fibreplex is good because it's probiotic and fibre, but some of mine don't like the taste.

Sending vibes for Bugsy xx

Thanks Amy....I don't have any fibreplex,never used it before ,is it from vets only?

Has he lost weight and is he drinking any more than normal ?

Is his wee very dilute (like water)

He doesnt drink much at all...wouldn't say thats changed ,not sure about his weight hes never been a podgy bun,always on the skinny side .

Hes quiet,not mobilising much ,but then hes been like that for quite some time really,I've just put it down to old age :?

Thanks Amy....I don't have any fibreplex,never used it before ,is it from vets only?

You can buy it from the vets, but it's cheaper on-line from places like VetUK (it's not a prescription med).

If you need probiotic quickly either ask your vet or get the one from Pets at Home.

Also, would just like to agree with the others...if he doesn't improve or seems poorly in any way, then you'll definitely need to see the vet (not that you need me to tell you that)

He doesnt drink much at all...wouldn't say thats changed ,not sure about his weight hes never been a podgy bun,always on the skinny side .

Hes quiet,not mobilising much ,but then hes been like that for quite some time really,I've just put it down to old age :?

Personally I'd get him checked up by the Vet in the next couple of days :)

Yes I'd kind of come to the conclusion that a check up might be a good idea anyway.....I'm just not keen on the thought of them telling me he has a serious problem ...Bugs is like part of the furniture :(

I did give him biolapis in his water but I've run out now ,will order some fibreplex ( no P@H near me) and organise a vet appointment.

Thanks for asking!

Hes still living in the bathroom :lol: I got the fibreplex through this morning so hes only just started that.....he seemed a lot better yesterday but when I got up this morning he'd done a few poos with quite a bit of mucous around them :?

Gave him some porridge yesterday too,thought it might give him a bit of fibre??

Hes still eating veggies brilliantly and also seems a bit more active and I'm convinced being in the warm is doing him good although the rest of the family are objecting to him being in the bathroom!!

Back