• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

:( Amputate or put to sleep? -ANOTHER UPDATE (couple of q's) post 110

xEmily

Mama Doe
That's the choice I have got now. Following on from the other thread http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=210233. Vet said the bones were completely crushed, no chance of being fixed.

I really don't know what to do. Obviously I want to give her every chance, but have been reading through some of the amputation threads on here, and although some are positive, there's the problems such as balancing to clean themselves etc...

Plus I don't want to put here through any more.

If anyone can tell me their experiences of rabbits with an amputated back leg then please share.

Last edited:
That's the choice I have got now. Following on from the other thread http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=210233. Vet said the bones were completely crushed, no chance of being fixed.

I really don't know what to do. Obviously I want to give her every chance, but have been reading through some of the amputation threads on here, and although some are positive, there's the problems such as balancing to clean themselves etc...

Plus I don't want to put here through any more.

If anyone can tell me their experiences of rabbits with an amputated back leg then please share.

Liz would be a good person to talk to, I know she has several 3 legged buns.
Personally, If it was one of my buns, I would amputate. I'd want to be giving her every chance I could.
It's a decision I wouldn't take lightly, I would be thinking about her age, general health etc.
Did she finally get some pain releif?

Personally, If it was one of my buns, I would amputate. I'd want to be giving her every chance I could.
It's a decision I wouldn't take lightly, I would be thinking about her age, general health etc.

Well she's young, 1.5 years, general health is very good. It's all about quality of life though.

Still not sure about pain relief, the vet whisked her off for a GA and xray, and rang straight back, he wants a decision. I did tell him that she hadn't had any.

I agree

My Harry is a hind leg amputee. He sustained a compound fracture. I actually watched the operation to amputate and it took about 45 minutes. His recovery was rapid and he was up and about the next day.

Harry made a full recovery and is now just about the fastest Rabbit I have, He can still Binky too :D

The only extra help he needs is to keep his ear clean, the ear on the same side as the amputation.

I would say go ahead with surgery but ONLY with a competent Vet and most definately NOT with the one who did not give your poor Bun any pain relief.

xx

My Lionel had a back leg amputated almost 2 years ago and he has comped absolutely fine with it, he has learnt to lean against a wall or lay down to wash, he had no problems with his balance or anything related to the amputation.
Personally i would never put a rabbit to sleep just because he/she needed a leg amputation, they can cope perfectly well with only 3 legs, several people on here have 'tripod' buns as we call them.

ETA - get yourself a better vet as well, there was no question of doing this from my vet, she would never have PTS

If you've managed to change to a better vet than the one who didn't give pain relief, then I'd go down the amputate road.
I've heard of lots of buns who have done well on three legs, and if that is all that is "wrong" with her, then its fixable.

I always compare it to people and think "would I euthanise a person if they broke their leg?"

Its a difficult decision - I hope owners of three legged buns post for you soon.
We have a few at the sanctuary that cope absolutely fine.

Thanks Jane, I went to the vet Jill recommended this morning, he's the one the did the xray. He just says he really doesn't think amputation is a good idea and that she wouldn't cope very well.

Thanks Jane, I went to the vet Jill recommended this morning, he's the one the did the xray. He just says he really doesn't think amputation is a good idea and that she wouldn't cope very well.

Did he say why she wouldn't cope?

Is it a front or back leg?

:shock:

Where is the fracture then - I mean EXACTLY what bones :?

I've had an amputee bunny in the past and she coped fine (aside from washing on the same side as the loss of her back leg). To be honest, I'd do it 10 times over. She still had a good quality of life and anyone who didn't know her would have been hard pushed to notice she only had three legs. I just made sure I kept her face and ears clean for her.

But ditto to Jane's post - make sure a good rabbit vet does the surgery.

Did he say why she wouldn't cope?

Is it a front or back leg?

Sorry I missed the bit about it being a back leg in the first post :oops:

I had a bunny with an amputated back leg, and he coped fine. You will need to adapt her housing to suit her new needs (e.g. no ramps or steps), but this shouldn't require too much work :D

:shock:

Where is the fracture then - I mean EXACTLY what bones :?

Well my dad spoke to the vet, I just asked him and can't remember. Not the thigh bone, the two bones below that (tibial tarsus?), and maybe some metatarsals. He said one of the bones had split.

My dad keeps saying that we should listen to the vets, although he has read through what you have said and is happy to amputate if I want to go ahead.

I hate making decisions at the best of times :(

My dad keeps saying that we should listen to the vets, although he has read through what you have said and is happy to amputate if I want to go ahead.

How old are you if you don't mind me asking?
what were the reason for the vet saying she wouldn't cope?
With her age and her being in good health I would go for the amputation.
Even if (and I hope it doesn't) the op doesn't work, at least you will know you gave her every chance.

Stupid work computers :evil:

Last edited:
We have 3 amputee bunnies here all with back leg removal. Every single one copes extremely well :)

Elwood had his removed after a major break a few months ago, he has brain damage and is blind so we worried he wouldn't cope and were also given the option of pts, we decided to give it a try and he is doing amazingly well. I am sure if he can recover and have a good life, most other bunnies can too :D

We have 3 amputee bunnies here all with back leg removal. Every single one copes extremely well :)

Elwood had his removed after a major break a few months ago, he has brain damage and is blind so we worried he wouldn't cope and were also given the option of pts, we decided to give it a try and he is doing amazingly well. I am sure if he can recover and have a good life, most other bunnies can too :D

Back