• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Silly question...

Kloy

Warren Scout
My buns live indoors and the room has a radiator in it. We're skint so the heating only comes on twice a day. Is this ok for them, or should I just turn the radiator in their room off completely? :oops:

Personally I wouldn't turn the radiator off. It can drop below freezing indoors in this weather. They won't have their winter coat if they're indoor buns. I would ensure that they have a place with warm blankets on the floor.

Can only say that I've got suspended (floor boards) floors throughout & have moved into 1 room with bun, kept at 18C with difficulty, & the rest above freezing. Temporarily blocking the air bricks outside with cardboard, has helped a lot.

Mine live like this.

In summer windows are open fulltime, by winter just during the day, & now with this cold spell, shut most of time, with radiator taking chill off room half hour in morning & half hour on a night.

The have hutches & boxes stuffed with hay they can snuggle in. The floor is laminate, but there are squares of carpet here & there as it's warmer.

The only time I ever had a problem was last year when somebun lost loads of weight. I brought him & daughter into a warmer room over th winter.

As long as there are no SUDDEN changes in temperature (so no long visits to hot rooms), buns should be ok:D

Thankyou both! I might pop a few more boxes out there, but otherwise I'll leave them as they are :)

Just wanted to say my bun lives in the same conditions and does just fine. There's a big box with hay for her to snuggle in but I've never seen her in it. The room keeps some of the heat as long as you keep the door shut :)

We only have the heating on when we are going to be downstairs (as it's coldest in our living room :roll: ) so the heating gets turned on and off. Deej has lots of warm places to snuggle up if he wants too (and he does have a fair "winter" coat at the moment even though he's an indoor bun), but then our house has been cool since autumn!

If we are going out for a long time then we will leave the heating on low for him, as he likes to snuggle up in front of the radiator for a nice snooze if there is no-one in he can snuggle on the lap of!

Back