• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Silver Bubble Wrap/Dehydration

Michelleox

Mama Doe
Is this any good for insulating the hutch? I'm thinking of getting some and would liek to know if it does keep the buns warm.

I'm assuming you put it around the outside of the hutch so bunny teefs don't get to it.

Also, due to the cold weather and the constantly freezing water bowls, what are the signs of early dehydration we need to look out for? I'm changing the often and using bowls, bottle snugs etc but worried just in case buns aren't getting enough.

Thanks guys x

I have silver bubble wrap stuff (from BQ) on the inside of my hutch. Doona and Humphrey are too lazy to chew anything other than food.

It has really mad a difference to the hutch temperature. Just make sure that there is plenty of ventalation as condensation will form on it and drip on the bunnies.

If you are worried about chewing you could always sandwich it between some more wood. I am afraid I am not able to answer whether it works on the outside as I haven't a clue.

(shuffles away quietly embarassed as I studied heat transfer at uni and have a degree in engineering......)

I staple all over the outside of the hutch, and put two layers on the roof, and a loose sheet over the front. I also staple it over the left hand side doors ~(just leave the bolt exposed so I can open the door) so 3/4 of the hutch is permanently covered with it all the time.
At night I then have layers of tarpaulin that cover everything completely.

It has kept my foster babies warm and snuggly, and I only got frozen bowls when it was -4 or lower.

I've got the silver stuff similar to bubble wrap in the playhouse and does make a difference as the water bottles haven't frozen at all.

Back