• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Giant bunny off her back legs*today was the end*

HoppingBinky

Mama Doe
I noticed today that my bun wouldn't come out for her food and when i called her she tried to hop but dragged one back leg while the other was curled underneath her. I rushed her round to vets who examined her and said there were no broken bones and the only think he could think of was a ruptured muscle. He didn't suspect e cunli as she flinched when he touched her curled leg. Her claws,teeth,ears and eyes are fine, shes eating, pooing and drinking fine. I talked to a breeder who advised to give her tomato juice as this can happen if the bun is low on potassium. Is this true or shouldi just wait till i take her back to the vets tomorrow?I would know what sort to give her or how much.
Any help would be very much appriciated.Thanks.:)

Last edited:
I have had two giants with leg problems,one tore his cruciate ligament and the other tore all the ligaments in his ankle.My vet x-rayed to rule out breaks first.I had to keep them both confined +pain relief every day and the one which had that bad ankle had a bandage on for support.

As long as shes had pain relief i doubt she will need the tomato juice. Id follow your vets advice :)

Hope bunny feels better soon xxx

Hi, just wanted to give an update on my bun Lady. It's been nearly a week since i posted this problem and since then she's had a 4 day course of metacam 2.5ml once a day which did help. Unfortunatly after being stopped on it for 3 days she's back to flinching in pain if i have to touch the foot. The vet seems to think it's either siatica or a trapped nerve.He was reluctant to give her a steroid injection as it lowers the immune system and hers is already low. He thinks she may have mites due to scurvy on her back and he said it may cause pasturella wich could kill her.
I spoke to him today to persuade him to give her another course of metacam as she can't hop around or even clean herself properly. He's given her 2ml once a day and she's going back Friday morning. He has said that he could
x-ray her under anesthetic but he's high risk because of her size and we could loose her while she's under or we can just keep her comfortable and let her stay as she is. I don't know what to do, i'm trying to find a bunny savvy vet in Lincolnshire and research what the problem could be. Any advice,tips or info would help no end. Thank you for reading this long post.:)

I'm sorry your big girlie is poorly :(

I know you said that your vet doesn't think it's EC related, but I think I might be tempted to have another discussion with them & see if it would benefit to give her a course of panacur just in case. I also would be asking if we could continue with metacam for any pain it might be causing her, until you get to the bottom of what's wrong :(

Quite often mites can be caused because of other underlying health issues, especially if they are persistent.

He is right to inform you of the risks involved with a GA if you go down the xray route etc, but it sounds to me like you're not particularly happy with your vet & his bunny knowledge?

If you're not & looking for a more rabbit savvy vet in Lincolnshire, you might be better putting a thread in Rabbit Chat asking for any recommendations :)

Good luck & hope your big girlie will be ok xx

Thank you so much bunnyaddict. Im just at a loss i love all my bunnies but she's my baby. I will put a thread up in rabbit chat and thanks again.x

You're very welcome, I really hope you can get to the bottom of why she's poorly.

I know exactly what you mean about her being your baby, there is something very special about giant buns :love: We've got Archie who is our giant & he is a real mummy's boy :oops::love: We've also had 2 other giants Emily & Jemima who we lost last year :cry: they really do have an overwhelming effect on you I think & have wonderful personalities.

Give her a big snuggle from me & let us know how you go on xx

I'm still baffled by this problem she has. I did wonder though if rabbits have a bone in their tail as hers is under her bum? I have to wash her bum everyday too as she has trouble with keeping wee & poo off her back underside.Any ideas anyone what it could be??????????:(

I took 3 blue conti giants in 5wks ago, one of them when she came in was a little wobbly on her back end at the time she wasn't in pain but a couple of weeks ago she wouldn't move about. When I took her to my vets the muscle across the base of her back was as tense as anything so we couldn't determine whether it was mucular or disc at this point, so she was put on vetergesic for a couple of days to see if we could see any improvement. The tenseness had gone but the unsteadiness hadn't so she was xrayed. It turns out 2 of her discs are out but she is still moving about ok and is now just on metacam if and when she needs it.

I have to agree with everything bunnyaddict as said and I have 24 giants of my own.
I would certainly recommend you get a 2nd opinion from a rabbit savvy vet as it sounds to me he is a bit wary of doing anything with her because of her size.
I really hope she pulls through whatever is wrong with her.

Well i've just got back from the vets and her other leg is also causing problems. Not sure if it's her spine or some slipped discs so they've kept her in for x-rays today. They will try and do them without anesthetic but if they do sedate her it's a huge risk because of her size.
Please send all the vibes you can i've already lost one bun this week and can't face loosing lady. Lady is the bun in the little picture by the way.I will update after 2 pm.:(

Lifes not fair. Shes come round from the x-ray but he's found an abcess in her hip caused by pasturella traveling in her blood stream. He can operate but she will need daily injections for the rest of her life at a cost or £112 per month. I stuggle with money anyway but she means the world to me. He's treating her with antibiotics wich will take 3 days to work and thats even if they do work.
Do i let her suffer 3 more days to see if they work or do i bite the bullet and have her pts. What would you do? Advice urgently needed as vets awaiting my call (he will continue to treat her until i've decided).:cry:

Lifes not fair. Shes come round from the x-ray but he's found an abcess in her hip caused by pasturella traveling in her blood stream. He can operate but she will need daily injections for the rest of her life at a cost or £112 per month. I stuggle with money anyway but she means the world to me. He's treating her with antibiotics wich will take 3 days to work and thats even if they do work.
Do i let her suffer 3 more days to see if they work or do i bite the bullet and have her pts. What would you do? Advice urgently needed as vets awaiting my call (he will continue to treat her until i've decided).:cry:

Personally i would never PTS for this reason, my little one had recurring abcesses on his leg and in the end it was amputated. He is currently unwell at the moment and has one injection twice a day as well as one every other day and one once a week. I have worked out for all of these injections it is costing me around £43 per month so £112 per month seems way over the top for an injection every day :?

IF you can't afford the treatment would you consider rehoming to someone who could rather than have her PTS?

ohh my what an awful situation to be in - i cant really help, Im not sure what I would do as i couldnt afford that each month? :cry::cry: but tis your baby and i think only you can decide.. what will her quality of life be like? Is she ill or suffering>? will she be in a lot of pain>? If yes I guess I would pts :cry: but I wouldnt do that if there was treatment available to help - I think I would try everything I could first...

Im so sorry it was bad news.. and I really havent been much help xx

I must admit if the antibiotics work she will gain full control over her legs and may hop with a limp. My gut feeling is to try everything but my partner and my mum are just worried in case i get in trouble with my finances. Ijust don't want to give up on her.I lost a bun already this week as he was really old and ill. I don't want her to think i've just given up on her but £3.97 an injection soon mounts up and i have 7 other buns to take into account. Any opinions will be taken on board as mum and partner don't quite understand how much i love my buns.:(

I must admit if the antibiotics work she will gain full control over her legs and may hop with a limp. My gut feeling is to try everything but my partner and my mum are just worried in case i get in trouble with my finances. Ijust don't want to give up on her.I lost a bun already this week as he was really old and ill. I don't want her to think i've just given up on her but £3.97 an injection soon mounts up and i have 7 other buns to take into account. Any opinions will be taken on board as mum and partner don't quite understand how much i love my buns.:(

What are the injections?

I do not think you could live with yourself if you PTS for the sake of money. At least approach some of the rescues such as Rainbow Rabbits (Hugo's There) to see if they can help out.

I am not sure how they know she will need injections for life? and not just for weeks or months.

Back