• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Struggling with water bottles freezing up.

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
Ok, i now feel like one of them children who gets told off by there parents.

My dad just said about the rabbits water bottles freezing? I have redone them twice and there still frozen. Even there bowls.

Any tips?

Apparently he did them all around 1am last night as the rabbits were trying to drink.

You could try putting cling film around the bottle then a sock over but remember to keep checking the nozzle (where the ball bearing is) as that also keeps freezing...it's a worry..change it before you go bed and as soon as you wake up....

You could try putting cling film around the bottle then a sock over but remember to keep checking the nozzle (where the ball bearing is) as that also keeps freezing...it's a worry..change it before you go bed and as soon as you wake up....

were not frozen yet... its always the nozzle thats freezing thats the problem!!

For water bowls get a clean ping pong ball and have that floating about in the water, as it bobs about it keeps the water moving so it can't freeze quickly. Also, do you have a snuggle safe? I've found that when I had Rowan, if I put a couple of those into my rabbits hutch (one on each level) and had the hutch well covered over it generally kept the temperature inside above freezing. Good luck with it :)

I wrapped mine up like above ^ and then in foil...before bed at 12.15am then checked this a.m and were ok :D

I wrapped two rabbit bottle snuggies around mine, when they still froze I found a way to put the waterbottle inside the hutch, doesn't freeze as easily now, but change the water a lot more often during the day to be safe.

I know the feeling, its a nightmare isnt it :(

I went out and bought 2 of the bottle snugs a few weeks ago and they dont work... they do help the actual water but not the nozzle, hence theyre useless :roll:

I change them before i go to bed and then as soon as i get up... this morning there were icicles hanging down from the spouts :( Poor bunnies

I have been lucky and never had that problem. I cover hutches in 2 shower curtains and a blanket and in really cold weather i have put tin foil around bottle. Good luck :)

If you've got snow, try giving bunny a bowl of snow in addition to his/her water bowl and bottle. The snow won't melt or change to solid ice so if bunny gets really thirsty overnight when the fresh water has already frozen, he/she can nibble on the snow.

I'm changing water at least twice a day at the moment and it's in insulated sheds. Still freezes overnight though :cry:

I find teh water in the bottle isn't totally freezing, it's the ball in the spout that gets frozen:(

There's really nothing you can do about that I'm afraid. But it's not going to hurt the buns to go a couple of hours without a drink (unless they've got a medical condition). You can really only do the best you can such as giving fresh water immediately before you go to bed and then refreshing it again first thing in the morning (and possibly again during the day if necessary).

I put woolly bed socks round mine and a cover over the front of the hutch....no problems since.

I use Glycerin that you can buy from any chemists. 2 tsp per litre of water. It stops the water freezing and is totally harmless. I was told today about beer coolers in the bottles but not sure what they are.
Warm water freezes quicker than cold believe it or not. I als put socks over the bottles.

I put glycerin in my bottle too and then wrap them in bubble wrap, put and old sock over and then post the spout through a square of cardboard before attaching to the hutch so they dont nibble the bubble wrap! Its the bowls that cause me bother, even gylcerin doesnt seem to help though perhaps I'm not putting in enough :?

If you've got snow, try giving bunny a bowl of snow in addition to his/her water bowl and bottle. The snow won't melt or change to solid ice so if bunny gets really thirsty overnight when the fresh water has already frozen, he/she can nibble on the snow.

When I had outdoor bunnies they got left a block of ice if there was no snow, they licked it if they needed water and did just fine. As long as you change it in the morning it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm struggling too.
Thankfully my Dad has been home for the last few days so has been defrosting and replenishing all their waters :?

I use a sports sock over the water bottle and cover the hutches up between 6pm and 6.30pm to help build up the interior warmth in the hutch from the rabbits body heat, so far so good. Have fun:)

Back