• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Electricity in the garden...

:wave: Hadn't seen those before, I run an extension lead into the shed (up high out of nibbling's way) for a heater, the heater has a safety cut out and I plug the extension lead into a breaker (one for lawn mowers) thinking it would cut out if there was a problem. I leave it on till late but, I am scared to leave it on all night though :? My shed is right outside the back door though - couldn't be doing with trudging up the garden - like my bun near the house.

I have fairy lights in my garden. But a huge hole in my wall in my kitchen, so there's a lead through there:oops::lol:

Those stake things are really only meant to be temporary.

If you are looking for something permanent, eg to a shed you should get an electrician in to make it safe. You definately need an RCD device.
For some things like garden lights you can get low voltage kits where you have the transformer indoors and the low voltage cable going outside. Those are pretty safe but high voltage mains stuff really needs to be done properly.

I had a sparky come to put armoured wiring from the house down to the sheds. He put in proper bulkhead lights and a power point in each shed for the heaters.

I think you have to have someone qualified now to do anything electrical - a few years ago dad did all the armoured wiring and things himself when we had a new shed but he wouldn't be able to do that now - as far as I'm aware anyway! I think it would be worth having someone do it though; when we put our rabbits outdoors if they don't go in the brick shed (which already has electricity) I would pay someone to do it I think. Mainly for heating as well as lighting.

Def get it done properly otherwise the fire risk is just not worth it. We had ours armoured cabled and dug down into the garden.

Back