• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Newborn bunny care

l88utd

New Kit
Hi folks,
I am new to this site but wondered if someone might be able to give me some advice. I have kept rabbits all my life, but generally just one at a time. We now have two rabbits, Honey and Bea, born in June 2009, who we thought were sisters. But at the start of December we were shocked to find a litter of bunnies. A vet advised us to leave them in their outside hutch, removing the male. Sadly, none of the litter survived. We thought the cold might have played its part but have read that it is fairly common for the first litter not to survive.
We are now noticing a nest being created again in their bed and think we have another litter on the way. Given the very cold weather we are experiencing, does anyone have any advice on whether we should transfer the mum and babies into an indoor cage to both keep them warm and keep an eye on them? Just want to give any potential litter the best chance possible. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Lee :)

Sorry, I don't know the answer but just bumping your post in the hope that someone will have some answers for you.

I'd bring them in. But you'll have to put them in a room where it's not that warm. Mum will have a warm winter coat, and so will have to be introduced to the warmth.

I'd bring them in, in her hutch that she has already if possible. She's made a nest, so you shouldn't try to move her unless necessary. The babies will not survive in this weather, so they should be inside!

Good luck!!

Where the buns together after the first litter was born? If so I think it's likely she's pregnant. I'm not really sure what would be best, I know normally you would be better leaving the mum where she is so she doesn't get stressed bun not sure about the cold??

Where the buns together after the first litter was born? If so I think it's likely she's pregnant. I'm not really sure what would be best, I know normally you would be better leaving the mum where she is so she doesn't get stressed bun not sure about the cold??

I think it far too cold. If you can't get the hutch into the house, could you put it in a garage or a shed, and get a small heater, to regulate temperature. Rabbits are born furless, so it's imperative that they are kept warm

I'd bring them in. But you'll have to put them in a room where it's not that warm. Mum will have a warm winter coat, and so will have to be introduced to the warmth.

I'd bring them in, in her hutch that she has already if possible. She's made a nest, so you shouldn't try to move her unless necessary. The babies will not survive in this weather, so they should be inside!

Good luck!!

I agree, good advice. I'm no expert, but definitely can't see newborns surviving this weather. Are you going to have Honey and Bea neutered? Then you can try and rebond them. Would love to see some photos, good luck!

Baby care reply - big thanks!

Thank you all for your advice. I think we will definitely bring them inside, should the inevitable happen! I don't think we'd be able to bring their big hutch inside the house as it's a big old wooden thing (might take some persuading with my husband!) and I wasn't sure that the shed or garage would even be warm enough just now??
Just not sure what is best for them as I don't want to disturb the nest in their existing hutch to transfer them into a more suitable indoor house. It's a dilemma and you feel you can't do right for doing wrong ; - (
We are going to get Bea and Honey neutered once the buns arrive (I keep presuming there are more on the way but I'm guessing there is a fair chance.)
I will definitely post pictures should the inevitable happen. The last litter were absolutely adorable and it was so upsetting when they didn't make it. Fingers crossed and thank you all again for your help.
Lee x

Last edited:
Sounds like you really care :wave:

Getting them neutered is deffo the way forward, what with something mad like 35,000 rabbits in rescue (can someone confirm this please) :D

Sounds like you really care :wave:

Getting them neutered is deffo the way forward, what with something mad like 35,000 rabbits in rescue (can someone confirm this please) :D

I agree with the above.
Fingers cross for the new litter xxx

Absolutely. We had already found homes amongst our friends and families for the six bunnies they had the last time but unfortunately I then had to contact everyone and break the sad news. Fingers crossed for this time. I really appreciate all the advice given. We have decided that should bunnies arrive, we will carry their hutch into the garage for the extra shelter (and I can keep a sly eye on them better too!) xx :)

Is the male still in with her at the moment? You talk about 'their' hutch so it's not clear on whether they are sharing it or whether they have a floor each, for example.

If they are still in together, it is absolutely 100% vital that you go and take the male out right now, even if you have to bodge a temporary enclosure together for him. Bunnies will mate straight away again after birth, so if the female is nesting, it sounds as if she is due...they will mate again and she will then give birth to another litter in 4 weeks time. As well as the fact that this introduces a lot of baby bunnies, this will be absolutely exhausting for her as she will need to feed a brand new litter while she is still feeding an older litter.

I would suggest getting the male booked in for neutering now as it can take several weeks for them to become fully infertile - if you get him booked in now, you should be able to rebond him with mum again straight away after she has raised a litter if one is on the way. If they stay in together, you will never get to the situation where you will be able to neuter them, because mum will be in a perpetual cycle of pregnancy and feeding.

Apologies if I'm reading too much into this and they are already separate - but it's so important I thought I'd better check :)

If I were you, I would also move them into the garage now - it will be far more stressful to them to be moved after babies have arrived than if you do it before, and of course if the babies arrive in the middle of the night as they tend to do, it will already be at the coldest temperature so by the time you find them in the morning, it could well be too late.

Thank you so much for that extra advice. I will follow it and bring the hutch in when I get home from work, just in case. I hadn't thought about the impact that even moving the hutch after the event could have, so thank you very much.
As it happens Honey (named thinking 'she' was female but now we know better!) is booked in to get 'done' tomorrow. I thought if Bea does have babies that Honey would be away from her for a good while anyway so might as well coincide it with getting neutered too. He'll be in a huff with me anyway!
As much as I will be delighted if we get some healthy bunnies from them to give to people we know and trust, we most certainly do not want any more. And as soon as Bea is ready, we will get her done too, for her health.
As a separate issue, I can't believe the difference some vets charge for neutering!!
I really appreciate all your help everyone and I am now very glad that I joined this site to get the advice... and I'm sure I'll be back on for more when the babies arrive. ; - ) x

:wave: Sounds like a good plan :) If Honey is going in for neutering tomorrow, please separate him tonight as well, as if babies come tonight she will more than likely be pregnant again by the time you take him out tomorrow. It sounds unkind but it's only for a short while and personally I think better take him out one day early rather than one day late and end up with even more babies in 4 weeks and an exhausted mum!

When was the previous litter born? That date too might give an indication as to whether babies are imminent.

Is your hutch single or two-tier? If it's two-tier you may be able to block off the ramp area so that the buns can have a floor each - if there are babies this would be needed anyway as when the babies start wandering about they could easily fall down the ramp.

Sorry, lots more questions there :lol: Hope you manage to get to the vets tomorrow with Honey given today's weather!

Oooh and make sure you don't put the male back in with the female until 6 weeks after he has been neutered. He will still be fertile.

Hello:wave:

I've never had any experience of kits but there are lots of threads on here about newborns which maybe worth a search.

Also if your bunny does become a mummy she will need unlimited hay. Only mention this as if you are due lots of snow it maybe worth stocking up just in case.

Good luck with the bunnies, keep us updated :)

Back