• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shredded paper. Can you use it instead of sawdust?

amme

Warren Scout
I normally use sawdust on the bottom of the hutch and put hay ontop. Is it ok to use shredded paper instead.

I normally use sawdust on the bottom of the hutch and put hay ontop. Is it ok to use shredded paper instead.

I have used shredded paper from the office before to give the bunnies more insulated areas.

Hopefully it is safe!

yep I use shavings, hay, straw and shredded paper but not newspaper as the ink is no good to them you still need to use shavings or they will be wet and the paper is more for warmth

Last edited:
It's perfectly safe to use with rats who have an extremely sensitive respiratory system so I would have thought bunnies would be fine as long as they don't eat it.

Ink on newspaper is safe for animals in the UK as they use a special one, cant remember what it is but used from something safe now days :)

That's great thankyou. I think hubby was thinking about not having the shavings but using the paper instead. But it would cut down on the hay.

Ink on newspaper is safe for animals in the UK as they use a special one, cant remember what it is but used from something safe now days :)

Was going to say, i line all our hutches with newspaper, then hay ontop :) Buns only get the paper if they dig, but some do rip it up :roll:

Shredded paper should be fine :) I wouldnt use it as an alternative though as it wont be very warm for them xxx

If they are kicking the sawdust around try wood/paperbased cat litter. It's a bit heavier and less messy but still absorbent. If they are inside they only really need litter in the litter tray :)

Back