• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

This is probably a stupid question..

hellsdarkrose

Warren Veteran
But Radish is going in for her spay tomorrow and I know i'm not supposed to starve her and that she has to eat as normal but I don't know why this is? :oops::oops::oops::oops: as other animals you normally starve before surgery.

I just thought I should find out.

Rabbits can't throw up, so there's no chance of food going the wrong way and into the lungs suring the surgery.

It's very serious to starve a bun because their guts are continually moving. If they don't eat then the movements slow down and can stop (statis) It can be very hard to get the gut moving again. Lots of buns die from this.:(

Rabbits can't throw up, so there's no chance of food going the wrong way and into the lungs suring the surgery.

It's very serious to starve a bun because their guts are continually moving. If they don't eat then the movements slow down and can stop (statis) It can be very hard to get the gut moving again. Lots of buns die from this.:(

In a nutshell. :thumb:

Good luck with your bun's spay - fingers crossed everything goes smoothly.

Ferrets are the same.Cant starve them before surgery cos they have a short digestive tract.Need to eat little and often.

That's the reason I thought it was but thought I should probably know for definite :D

I took a supply of hay and pellets and a water bowl for the vets to ensure Bella had access to them as soon as she woke up...:D good luck

Back