• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nest box?

ajr231

Young Bun
Hi, i was just reading a rabbit care book (i know thats reallly sad!) and read about nest boxes for rabbits to sleep in. Mine sleep on carpeted shelves or on the floor and don't have a specific place to sleep. I have ordered them 2 profleece blankets to pop on the floor so it's not chilly. Just wondered if other ppl giev their rabbits nest boxes/ beds and what type they recommed. The nest boxes / beds i've seen are these types,

http://www.cheappetproducts.net/SIERRA_WOOD_RABBIT_NESTING_BOX-UKP68778.html

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Snuggles-Smal...et_Supplies_Small_Animals?hash=item23046d28a5

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Medium-Rabbit...et_Supplies_Small_Animals?hash=item4cecc42a4a

any thoughts?
Also it would be for 2 minature lops :)

thanks
amanda

:wave: Are they indoor or outdoor buns? A box is a good idea as it gives them somewhere to snuggle away from draughts - I'm sure you know yourself how much cosier you can get when you're snuggled into a duvet rather than just lying on the sofa :)

Type will really depend on the individual buns, their preferences, whether they are indoor or outdoor and what surface you're going to put it on.

A nest box could just be a cardboard box stuffed with straw or hay, so that they can get right inside it and snuggle down and keep warm :) The cat basket looks very cosy and some buns love them...my buns wee in them :roll: Mine also have the last one of those, but it has no base so really depends what surface you're putting it on as it could get cold if it's on a cold surface, and it would need really stuffing well with hay/straw to get it cosy inside.

So really there are plenty of options, but what you're really looking for is just something they can snuggle into and get warm and cosy and draught free :)

They don't necessarily need a nest box to nest or sleep in but rabbit rabbits should always have a covered area (like a cardboard box) to hide in if they are frightened. They might not use it 90% of the time but they'll know it's there and it gives them somewhere to bolt into. If they don't have cover rabbits will bolt around the room looking for it if they are panicked and could hurt themselves.

my rabits are out doors and i use a large plastic storage tub with a whole cut in for door and stuff it with hay to keep them warm. They use and love it, not only to go in but also sit on top :)

ph2.jpg

Before they were out door rabbits they never bothere much, would give them big boxes but they would throw them around and chew them to shreds lol. They much prefered blanket to hide under or those hooded cat litter trays :D

The first link is a nest box for pregnant rabbits that live on wire, a baby would chill if it was born on the wire.

Thanks for your replies. Just to clarify they are indoor buns, 10 week old miniature lops and live in a warmish upstairs room;).

Back