• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Uneaten caecotrophs - any advice? UD - still no better

giantbunnymummy

Warren Veteran
Bit worried about Daisy. She's had a few uneaten caecotrophs over the last few days (taken me until today to figure out which bunny it was, but definitely Daisy) although she is passing loads of normal poos too. She's eating fine and seems perfectly happy and behaving normally.

I haven't made any dietary changes except for cutting back her fenugreek crunchies and veg as soon as I first noticed the uneaten caecotrophs :?

She's just had a check up at the vets a few days ago (Jester had an appointment about his teeth so took the opportunity for a thorough Daisy check too) and all seemed fine. Jester has a dental next Monday so I could certainly get her looked at again then, but does she need to go back sooner?

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Thanks for reply :)

Yes, cut back on pellets too. Was very worried yesterday morning to see four piles of ceacotrophs in the litter tray, but thankfully none at all today and poos all normal, so fingers crossed the limited diet is doing the trick.

Will ask about it at the vets on Monday.

I hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread, but I was about to post about the same problem. The boarder that's been with me since Saturday has exactly the same problem. I was shocked by the amount of ceacotrophs on Sunday morning. I wondered if it may have been caused by overfeeding of pellets during the time that her owner was unable to oversee her care, so I cut right back on these , but it was the same on Monday so I cut out her veg. This morning there are loads again..could it be caused by the change of surroundings? She's a very porky girl. I've never had this problem with my lot or other boarders so am at a loss as to what to do next..

:wave:Thank you for your input. Hay and pellets is all she's had since Monday. Our hay, which is given freely, is wonderful stuff which all my rabbits scoff down. I may cut out the pellets completely ..I'd already diluted the excell she usually has with A&P as that's a higher fibre and I know some buns have a problem with Excel if they have too much.

I hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread, but I was about to post about the same problem. The boarder that's been with me since Saturday has exactly the same problem. I was shocked by the amount of ceacotrophs on Sunday morning. I wondered if it may have been caused by overfeeding of pellets during the time that her owner was unable to oversee her care, so I cut right back on these , but it was the same on Monday so I cut out her veg. This morning there are loads again..could it be caused by the change of surroundings? She's a very porky girl. I've never had this problem with my lot or other boarders so am at a loss as to what to do next..

when i've had a problem with eric in the past, it soon becomes obvious why the odd one or two remain uneaten - they really pong:oops: i've found that hay only and pro-biotic helps this but if its not smelly, maybe she's just been a bit greedy? if she's rather portly, can she get at herself properly to munch (a lady i used to work with seemed to have killed her bun with kindness years ago - too much food and lots of treats, she got so fat she developed breathing problems:().

I spoke too soon about Daisy. Quite a few more in the tray when I popped up to see the bunnies a bit ago. They've both had a very limited diet past few days, which I thought would sort it out. I will leave out pellets entirely tonight and tomorrow and see if that stops it.

Daisy's never had this problem before, and Jester only has for a day or so after his stasis episodes.

There's no chance it could be green oat hay related is there? After not being able to buy any for ages I've been giving them lots recently :?

I find any amount of Excel causes problems and I've also had problems with Oat Hay.

My lot currently have Excel mature rabbit pellets. They love them and seem much happier on them but we do have loose poo!

Do you have some probiotics you could add to their water? :) This normal sorts Scamp out when he has the same problem. I shouldnt think it would be they hay... unless thats a new thing in their diet?

Lots of vibes for Daisy xXx

Hi Hun,

Daisy, be good for mummy:no:

I agree with some Probiotic. Remember when i brought Ollie home and he had a few extra caecotrophs? I was advised that it possibly was the stress of the journey so i gave him a bit of probiotic and he was fine. Maybe Daisy didn't enjoy the vet trip.

(or she's been pinching crunchies from somewhere)

I've given them some Aviproplus in their water today and much to their annoyance they each had only 5 A&P pellets for breakfast (two very disgruntled bunnies upstairs) and no veg at all yesterday or today. Still loads of caecotrophs this morning :(

Daisy has nipped me loads of times in the past 24 hours too, so I know she's cross about the new dietary restrictions :roll:

Will get her looked at by the vet on Monday and see if he thinks we need to do any tests or anything.

Thanks for vibes :)

Apart from the dietry changes & adding probiotic to water. I would also check she is able to reach the ceacotrophs ok. I know she's a house bunny but the colder weather may have made her a little stiffer than usual, or she may have put on a little extra weight recently.

Also (and I know this sounds disgusting), when you see some that are freshly done, you could try picking them up with a tissue or slipping them onto a piece of card and offering them back to her to see if she will eat them, just so you know she's getting the nutrients she needs from them. I used to do this when I had my oldies.

Thanks for replies :)

Daisy had an examination of her teeth just two weeks ago and there was no sign of anything wrong, but obviously without an xray vet wouldn't know for sure that all was ok.

As for movement, I've see her reaching underneath to groom herself, so she seems ok in the respect. But again, I don't know for sure that she's not in pain.

Off to the vets in the morning so I will see what he says. Fingers crossed there's nothing seriously wrong.

Hope bunny is all ok now. :wave:

I read this thread with interest. I'm having the same problem with Basil. I've had him for just over a week so we haven't made much progress with weightloss, and I suspect this is a contributing factor. His old owners fed him quite a lot of pellets and carrots and mentioned he sometimes had 'diarrhoea'.

He seems in good health otherwise so he's now on as much Timothy Hay as I can get him to eat. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
Despite 99% hay diet, with tiniest amount of pellets and no veg, still no improvement :(

Any ideas what could be wrong?

My rabbit Twinkle is on HAY ONLY diet due to her excessive caecs. She has improved a lot on this diet for over a month, and my vet says its fine to just feed hay.

I spoke too soon about Daisy. Quite a few more in the tray when I popped up to see the bunnies a bit ago. They've both had a very limited diet past few days, which I thought would sort it out. I will leave out pellets entirely tonight and tomorrow and see if that stops it.

Daisy's never had this problem before, and Jester only has for a day or so after his stasis episodes.

There's no chance it could be green oat hay related is there? After not being able to buy any for ages I've been giving them lots recently :?

I just have this feeling I read on here that you shouldn't give too much oat hay.

Back