• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fox Reminder!

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Please do NOT turn this thread into a 'I love/hate foxes thread' it is here for information!

Despite the current cold weather foxes have been doing their mating/territory calls for the last couple of weeks (in my area - they may be later further north). This means that the new cubs will be born anytime from end of Jan to mid-March. Once they are born the vixen will need to procure extra food and your rabbits will be at particular risk during this period.

Because of the cold weather food is likely to be short as many rats etc will have also suffered. Also foxes are coming out earlier in the evening as food is short.

PLEASE think ahead and prepare maximum security for your hutches and runs at this time of year. Providing food will not prevent the adults from also scavenging for your bunnies if they are not secure (and will merely mean that more foxes survive to breed next year and the problem will multiply and spread - but thats up to you to decide- my point is the security of your rabbits).

Precautions include bolts, secure aviary runs or sheds to put secure hutches inside, foxwatches, electric fencing, prickle strips on fencing etc etc.

PLEASE also note that foxwatches and other sonic devices that rely on sensors do NOT work well in frost or snow as the sensor becomes obscured - so bring them in and thaw them out during the day if you can. You may also need to brush snow off electric fencing and prickle strips to maintain effectiveness. Don't be caught out!!

You can also use any fresh snowfalls to try and track whether foxes are coming into your garden - or whether your deterrants are working!

Last edited:
Thanks for this, we have been hearing it too, it send shivers down my spine everytime.

Ive never heard of prickle threads but what a good idea. I will google them and get some.

We found fox tracks in our garden over the weekend....strangely not anywhere near the hutches or runs though.

the foxes around here are starving and I have heard of over 30 chickens being killed by them in the are this week:cry:

yes - the problem is any animal that can hunker up in its nest/tunnel etc is doing so, and so rats, mice, and wild rabbits are more difficult for the foxes to find. There is no fallen fruit etc at this time of year so food is at its scarcest. Although they can still scavenge from bins in some areas that don't have proper wheelie bins or around bird tables etc.

My electric fence around the hens (on my allotment) is proving its worth so far . . . . the snow showed me that the foxes walk around it on their way to the compost heap (for rats) but do not try and go near it. In the garden there were no tracks past the foxwatches - but this may change as the weather gets worse. We are having trouble keeping the sensors ice-free overnight.

the sonic deterrents dont upset the bunnies then? I was worried for their ears.Which one do you have?

the sonic deterrents dont upset the bunnies then? I was worried for their ears.Which one do you have?

I've always wondered about that as I have a deterrant thingy plugged in next to my office at work, and though I don't hear it I swear it gives me a headache. :(

Hmmm, worrying. I know there are foxes around where I live, though I don't know whether any have ever ventured into my garden... Never seen any signs. I hope not!

I have the one sold by the Foxolutions company (but you can get it elsewhere) .

http://www.foxolutions.co.uk/index....oducts_id=10&zenid=ruic95njkqt4l8t1tuoeefb4h5

It does not upset the rabbits at all (or me). It only comes on when the sensors detect something and most times of year we only have it on at night - but even when it is on the rabbits will come up and 'chin' it!
The key to its success is that it is an unexpected and unpleasant sound which the fox will trigger as he moves towards the area it 'guards'.
They are useless if they are lower tone, OR are on all the time so the fox does not associate it with him/herself moving into the area (ie no sensors).

If you buy one PLEASE remember to change the batteries frequently - any product is only as good as the person maintaining it!

I was convinced by the effectiveness of this sort of high pitched sound by using a similar type (but smaller) portable 'dog dazer' whilst cycling round the Near East! (and no they do not actual daze the dog - just make it confused enough for you to escape).

The other thing I meant to mention is that SCOOT (the smelly spray designed to put off foxes by smelling of other foxes urine) also does not work well in snow or rain as it is diluted. Though it may still be worth using some if you know exactly where the fox is coming over and you can spray a high dose in the fence or wall at that point.

Luckily Bambi is a house bun. When it snowed before christmas Bambi woke us up thumping her foot in the night. When I looked out the window in the morning there were footprints around the garden and right up to the window of the room Bambi is in. We think they were from a fox. I saw a fox in our garden last year too.

*shudders*
I'm so glad mine are indoor buns. Although as I know from another forum members experiance...this doesn't always stop them.
So I'd like to add making sure that windows in the rooms buns are in aren't open, or if they are, then make sure they are covered with a mesh. The same goes for catflaps and doors too.

I have fitted the type of catflap that only allows entry to an animal with a specific microchip number. You can have up to 6 different animals/numbers. The flap can be set either to only open in/out with a chip or allow all outs but only chipped animals to come in!The cat and the buns that are allowed free access outside are chipped.

Stops foxes (unless they are actually on the tail of the cat as they re-enter) and also the neighbours cats!!

*shudders*
I'm so glad mine are indoor buns. Although as I know from another forum members experiance...this doesn't always stop them.
So I'd like to add making sure that windows in the rooms buns are in aren't open, or if they are, then make sure they are covered with a mesh. The same goes for catflaps and doors too.

As its minus 4 degrees right now I though I wouldn't bother mentioning needing to keep all windows and doors shut:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thank you parsnip bun for a timely warning.
I've noticed the "rural" fox with a white tip to the brush has been hunting right up to the road for the last 3 weeks at 11.00AM. It's hungry.
ETA My bun is needless to say totally confined to house. Now needs a run WITH me supervising, when he's in it.

That 'Cat Off' stuff that you're supposed to put on the flower beds to stop Cats using them as toilets....seems to work on top of our fences here

it gets worse once the cubs are born purely for the fact they want to take live or fresh meat back to there den to feed, so yes i would be more vigulant in the coming months,
weve got a few in a park behind me, as much as i like foxes they are not gonna get my buns no matter what
i live in a top floor flat at mo my 1 of my buns goes nuts when he hears them at the mo bless him

foxy footprints in my snow right by my house this morning.

poor matthew was thumping away last night, staring into the back yard at something i certainly couldn't see - i covered the window and he relaxed. the footprints made me wonder though...

Back