• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Books - doing some research

Buuny_Friend

Mama Doe
Hi guys,

I am doing a little bit of research for work as we would like to stock 1 or 2 books on rabbit care.

We would like book(s) that cover everything for people who are new to rabbits or who are quite novice. Therefore, the books can't really go into enormous scientific depth about individual illnesses etc as I think it would just scare people. We do, of course, want the books to discuss rabbit health.

Can any of you recommend any good ones?

Thank :)

I like the Rabbits for Dummies book (though it's very American). Also Living with a House Rabbit (Linda Dyke and Helen Flack) gives a good overview that applies equally well to outdoor rabbits - and it's shorter than the Dummies book and has colour pictures, so it's a friendly browse.

I like the Rabbits for Dummies book (though it's very American). Also Living with a House Rabbit (Linda Dyke and Helen Flack) gives a good overview that applies equally well to outdoor rabbits - and it's shorter than the Dummies book and has colour pictures, so it's a friendly browse.

Completely agree on these.
I really like 100 ways to a happy bunny too. J found it really useful as it had quite a bit about body language in it.
*Personally* I found that rabbitlopedia was a bit heavy going unless you really want to go into depth (which I did) and bits of it are quite technical (If you know what I mean :oops: )
I have one about house rabbits that has a black and white pic on the front....can't remember what it's called though :oops: I really liked it so I'll post it when I get home :wave:

I would vote for the Dummies book too, I've always found it great as a reference book as you can just dive in and out of it at will as well as read it right through if you prefer.

I'm not a huge fan of Rabbitlopeadia...it's also a bit outdated now too.

Thank you :wave::D

Sorry this is so late, here are my favourites

House Rabbit Handbook How to Live with an Urban Rabbit By Marinel Harriman (Fourth Edition)
This was the first HOUSE rabbit book I ever bought, and it is brilliant! It was very hard to get hold of and not from new as these are very rare to get hold of, but it is worth it. It has lovely photographs, the entire book is in black and white. It covers everything you would need to know about house bunny keeping including a very good section on feeding, bonding, litter training and bunny proofing. The author is american.

Living with a House Rabbit by Linda Dykes and Helen Flack
My second house rabbit book which is recommended by the RWA and written and published in the UK. Loved this book too! Again covers pretty much everything you'd need to know owning a house bunny.

The Complete House Rabbit by Carolina James
Another UK author which covers everything about house bunnies. Both this book and the one above are full of lovely coloured photographs throughout.

Owning the above three books would give you pretty much all you need to know about owning and looking after a house bunny, including setting up space, house training, litter training, bunny behaviour, diet, exercise, bonding, rabbit health and care (not in depth, enough a bunny parent should know), neutering/spaying etc I read all these books cover to cover they are very easy to follow! I have also looked up and re read certain chapters when the time has arisen i.e. when Jemima hit puberty etc

The following books were complimentary to the above for more indepth information on subject specific areas:

Rabbit Health in the 21st Century A guide for Bunny Parents by Kathy Smith
Not one of these really hard to read vetinary type books that requires some level of vet or nurse education, really really good! Covers pretty much all bunny diseases/illnesses but before these there are sections on how to find a bunny savvy vet, what to look for in a vet, when to go to a vet, what to have in the bunny medical kit etc. Its aimed for bunny parents like us and I read it from cover to cover. Very good.

Getting Started: Clicking with your Rabbit by Joan Orr and Teresa Lewin
Excelent book on clicker training your bunny. It is in no way cruel, it is a good way for communicating with your pet i.e. "bed" - bunny goes to bed, "come" - bunny comes to you etc. I am currently training Jemima and its working!!!

Ok so those were the books I would recommend. The following books are ones that I bought and read and was rather disappointed with tbh

Rabbit lopaedia A complete guide to rabbit care By Meg Brown and Virginia Richardson
Found this book to be a boring read. Much more of a reference book. I also found content to be out dated and very misleading. For example, accommodation it has a photo of a 2-3 foot hutch on page 20 with a sign "Nicola's Rabbit" on the door. It also speaks of wired flooring. I couldn't read it and ended up putting it aside, however I would use it as a reference book for breeds or illnesses (although I would use the guide for bunny parents first). Some people on here say this is a good book but I find it dull, outdated and misleading.

Hop to It A guide to training your pet rabbit
Not read all of this book. Didn't get past chapter one. Flicked through to read other chapters. Dull. It is nice if you want to read about how a lady has looks after her own rabbits and stories of her rabbits, but not a training book. very misleading title. I keep trying to give it another chance but it just doesn't interest me at all!!!!

There are more books but Im tired and off to bed now, hope this helps you a bit?

Sorry this is so late, here are my favourites

House Rabbit Handbook How to Live with an Urban Rabbit By Marinel Harriman (Fourth Edition)
This was the first HOUSE rabbit book I ever bought, and it is brilliant! It was very hard to get hold of and not from new as these are very rare to get hold of, but it is worth it. It has lovely photographs, the entire book is in black and white. It covers everything you would need to know about house bunny keeping including a very good section on feeding, bonding, litter training and bunny proofing. The author is american.

Living with a House Rabbit by Linda Dykes and Helen Flack
My second house rabbit book which is recommended by the RWA and written and published in the UK. Loved this book too! Again covers pretty much everything you'd need to know owning a house bunny.

The Complete House Rabbit by Carolina James
Another UK author which covers everything about house bunnies. Both this book and the one above are full of lovely coloured photographs throughout.

Owning the above three books would give you pretty much all you need to know about owning and looking after a house bunny, including setting up space, house training, litter training, bunny behaviour, diet, exercise, bonding, rabbit health and care (not in depth, enough a bunny parent should know), neutering/spaying etc I read all these books cover to cover they are very easy to follow! I have also looked up and re read certain chapters when the time has arisen i.e. when Jemima hit puberty etc

The following books were complimentary to the above for more indepth information on subject specific areas:

Rabbit Health in the 21st Century A guide for Bunny Parents by Kathy Smith
Not one of these really hard to read vetinary type books that requires some level of vet or nurse education, really really good! Covers pretty much all bunny diseases/illnesses but before these there are sections on how to find a bunny savvy vet, what to look for in a vet, when to go to a vet, what to have in the bunny medical kit etc. Its aimed for bunny parents like us and I read it from cover to cover. Very good.

Getting Started: Clicking with your Rabbit by Joan Orr and Teresa Lewin
Excelent book on clicker training your bunny. It is in no way cruel, it is a good way for communicating with your pet i.e. "bed" - bunny goes to bed, "come" - bunny comes to you etc. I am currently training Jemima and its working!!!

Ok so those were the books I would recommend. The following books are ones that I bought and read and was rather disappointed with tbh

Rabbit lopaedia A complete guide to rabbit care By Meg Brown and Virginia Richardson
Found this book to be a boring read. Much more of a reference book. I also found content to be out dated and very misleading. For example, accommodation it has a photo of a 2-3 foot hutch on page 20 with a sign "Nicola's Rabbit" on the door. It also speaks of wired flooring. I couldn't read it and ended up putting it aside, however I would use it as a reference book for breeds or illnesses (although I would use the guide for bunny parents first). Some people on here say this is a good book but I find it dull, outdated and misleading.

Hop to It A guide to training your pet rabbit
Not read all of this book. Didn't get past chapter one. Flicked through to read other chapters. Dull. It is nice if you want to read about how a lady has looks after her own rabbits and stories of her rabbits, but not a training book. very misleading title. I keep trying to give it another chance but it just doesn't interest me at all!!!!

There are more books but Im tired and off to bed now, hope this helps you a bit?

Thank you so much...that is really kind of you :)

Thats the one I was thinking of!!

Completely DISAGREE with you both, definately not for beginners as they would think it is acceptable to keep bunnies in tiny hutches!!! :shock::shock:

I'm with you on this.....I only bought it as a biological reference, although I didn't really use it. I fould it really wordy too :oops:

Rabbitlopedia - This was great when I first bought it, and I still find the A-Z illnesses and disease section invaluable. If only they would update it, I would be recommending it without hesitation but the fact that it's 10 years old now is really holding it back :? (in fact the recomendation on hutch size is appaling for current times and goes complete against what RWA etc campaign for :( )

I liked the Collins guide to rabbits. It has a good section at the back about heath and things buns can get, its worth a look at and is only £7 (I think) in comparison to the dummies one which is over £10.

Back