• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Porridge for the buns?

BwfcAngel

Mama Doe
Can i give my outdoor bunnies a little bit of warm porridge oats with water before i lock them up for the night? Its bleedin freezing here and they have hot water bottles, heatpads, tonnes of straw and an insulated cover but... still want to make them a teeny bit warmer in their tummies at night!

Can i do this?

Hia :wave: I have been giving mine porridge for breakfast but I was advised that it can be fattening for them and should only be given as a treat or not too often, I cant see why, while the weather is cold that they shouldnt have it now as hopefully, this really cold spell wont last too long.

I also chop an apple into it or grate a carrot and they just love it, I make enough so that they get about a desert spoon full each. Mine free range all day so get plenty of excercise. I have also read that some people put a bit of apple juice in it too.

Personally I don't give any healthy bunnies porridge and only use it as a last resort for underweight and poorly buns :)

I'm not even certain giving animals warm food warms them up in the same way it would humans. You can't give bunnies really cold stuff in heatwaves so I think it works the same the other way :?

Snowdrop had porridge when she needed to put weight on and it does work, she has put 0.3kg on in 2 months so it must be very fattening. I dont give it to healthy buns.

I agree with the last two posters - I don't think it's good for healthy bunnies as it puts weight on them very quickly and I also don't think they get much benefit from it. I offer Alfie and Bubbles some lukewarm water every couple of hours and it seems to be appreciated just as much but it's not fattening. :)

Back