• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Brilliant Moulting Recipe

UsagiYojimbo

Alpha Buck
I have a VERY old rabbit book, which was my first ever rabbit book back when I was a young child.

It has a very good "cure" for moulting rabbits as follows

Soak 1/2 a pint of Maple Peas over night
Spread out to dry on a tray
Leave in sunlight
When they begin to sprout, feed 12 peas (NO MORE) per day for a week (NO LONGER)

The rabbits fur becomes shiny and soft and they moult quicker

This REALLY does work, it is what my mum used to do in moulting season to my bunnies and they all had lovely shiny coats.

I am really struggling to find anywhere that sells maple peas

Help anyone please???

When I get home from work I will double check the book and type a quote directly from it just to make sure I have got the above right.

:wave:

Get them from a fishing tackle shop, it's used as bait for some fish or other. What happens if you feed 13, or even 10?

The book is called "Rabbit Keeping" by C.F. Snow. It is VERY OLD!!! It has ONE PARAGRAPH on neutering which is

Catration is seldom worthwhile as it has few advantages. One reason was to prevent bucks in the colony system from fighting. Now the colony system is out-moded, it no longer applies

No idea what its going on about! Its all about breeding/rabbit keeping for showing, like I said VERY old.

Moulting quote
Take 1/2 pint of maple peas, soak for 12 hours, drain, spread out on a tray and, when they begin to sprout, feed twelve peas daily for a week, no longer. It does work!

So there you have it, good advice on moulting, terrible advice on pretty much everything else!!!! :shock:

Back