• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lost 1 of my bunnys yesterday :(

lauramc888

Warren Scout
My gorgeous bunny Salt passed away last night. I felt so **** all day, still not really sure what she died of as the only 'symptom' she had shown was a bit of weight loss still doing everything else the same. I couldnt sleep for thinking of her and now have had 3 hours sleep before I have to go do a 12 hour shift. Still feel like its not really true, but now I keep playing over he final moments before she stopped breathing and that makes me upset. I dont think I will get more pets for a long time, its too upsetting when the time comes to say bye. Not really any point in my post, just wanted to get it off my chest a bit :(

Losing a Bunny is always heartbreaking :cry:
I am so sorry to hear of Salt's passing.

You will eventually be able to remember her and smile xx

You can shed tears that she is gone
Or you can smile because she has lived
You can close your eyes and pray that she will come back
Or you can open your eyes and see all that she has left
Your heart can be empty because you can't see her
Or you can be full of the love that you shared
You can turn your back on tomorrow and live yesterday
Or you can be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday
You can remember her and only that she is gone
Or you can cherish her memory and let it live on
You can cry and close your mind, be empty and turn your back
Or you can do what she would want: smile, open your eyes, love and go on.

David Harkins

sorry to hear this, very hard to get through the next few days as I am sure the death will be on your mind. Rabbits and other small furries have a good way of not showing if they are ill, its a defence mechanisim for being in the wild.
Take care of yourself and thinking of you doing a 12 hr shift.

:cry:thank you all for being sympathetic. Have managed to go through work and not cry but havent told anyone about her. Work with guys and theyll just make a joke about putting her in a pot and THEN ill cry!! Constantly thinking of her last moments, she was alive barely when I found her and occasionally trying to move....Im telling myself that it was coz she knew I was there and was saying hi to me :( I really hope she wasnt in pain but it did seem quite quick, was so heartbreaking though just seeing her chest stop moving :cry::cry::cry: I am now beginning to feel guilty though.....if only Id went to the vet between xmas and new year......if only I went out 1 hour earlier.....Ironically she had an appt for a check up this Thursday :( sorry to drone on, I just feel you guys know what it feels like......many people have an 'its only a rabbit' attiude. Really did love her. So glad I had taken some photos of her on Saturday when she was hopping about fine

Very sorry for your loss :( I only have one house rabbit but am a piggy lover and my oldest bestest piggy friend passed on over a year ago and I think of him every day...we understand how you feel x

Sorry you have lost Salt. It's always hard losing an animal,but don't beat yourself up about the 'what if's". Some things we just can't change or influence.
I never see another pet as a replacement for a previous one, but look at is as a testament to how wonderful the previous one was (if that makes sense)

Sorry you have lost Salt. It's always hard losing an animal,but don't beat yourself up about the 'what if's". Some things we just can't change or influence.
I never see another pet as a replacement for a previous one, but look at is as a testament to how wonderful the previous one was (if that makes sense)

I still have my other bunny Pepper to look after, so had her in tonight for big cuddles. but still find myself having some tears over Salt. I just cant get used to opening the hut door and only seeing Pepper :cry: I keep thinking of Salt at her food bowl. Im trying not to beat myself up with what ifs....

Aww :cry: it is so hard to accept losing a much loved bunny. Especially if the people you work with dont understand :(. How is Pepper coping? Dont beat yourself up with "what if's" its not fair on yourself, and its the last thing Salt would want. You gave Salt a lovely life and that is all that matters now, the happy times. Allow yourself to grieve for Salt, but dont blame yourself, its not your fault.

As you know I'm going through the same thing at the moment, god does it hurt.
It is a shame that people don't recognize that rabbits are our cats and dogs as they are to them.

Im still doin all the what if's too but I'm hoping it will get easier.

The strength from fellow bunny lovers on this forum has been a great help :)

I really do appreciate all your replies, it makes me feel a bit better knowing that other feel or have felt the same as me....I wish others didnt though obviously, would rather our bunnies were here till we die! My fiance has been great too, always ready to give me a cuddle if get upset. Salt did have a good life with us, so Im glad of that. Pepper seems ok, she was always the more dominant one so prob cope better anyway, but Ill keep an eye on her anyway. Do rabbits usually pine if theyre pal is away?

I really do appreciate all your replies, it makes me feel a bit better knowing that other feel or have felt the same as me....I wish others didnt though obviously, would rather our bunnies were here till we die! My fiance has been great too, always ready to give me a cuddle if get upset. Salt did have a good life with us, so Im glad of that. Pepper seems ok, she was always the more dominant one so prob cope better anyway, but Ill keep an eye on her anyway. Do rabbits usually pine if theyre pal is away?

Mine always have pined for their friend. Holly is grieving badly after losing Bigwig at the start of decemeber :cry:, she is still eating etc, but she is just not her normal self. Plus she wants human attention, which is something she has never been overly bothered about, lovely for us, but its just not Holly.

The main thing is, be there for them, give them extra cuddles etc and see how they are. All buns react differently.

Last edited:
Back