• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spaying

BaileyBunn

Warren Scout
Hi, my bunn bailey is just over 6 months old and ive been advised thats a good time to have her spayed, shes my first rabbit in about 10 years so ive never experianced spaying/neutering and am abit nervous about the op, Just wondering if anyones ever lost a bunn from spaying/neutering? basically im just looking for reassurence that im doing the right thing and...:roll:
thanks x

Spaying is always a good idea as it calms them down. Adult females can get very territorial and aggressive and can also get phantom pregnancies where they'll make a nest etc. But the most important thing is that most female rabbits who are not spayed get uterine cancer and die by the age of five and spaying them almost always stops this. Plus it also means you can get her a friend without them fighting or breeding. And if you get on from a rescue they're usually neutered already. :)

I had a bit of a scare when Grim stopped eating after his neuter, but overall it has improved his life so much.

thanks jenova...i know the risks of spaying outway the consequences of not, but am just worred she may still be to young, shes still quiet small at 6 months and gets really scared just goin in the car to the vets (serious eye bulging:roll:) so am worried that the whole thing might be to much for her, havent heard or read any stories on here about people losing a bunn through spaying though

People have lost buns through spaying, but from what I've read it's usually either because the vet has not been a rabbit-savvy one (and therefore lack of knowledge/experience) and/or there has been an underlying problem with the doe that would have happened sooner or later with any anaesthetic (eg heart problem). Despite the risk though I would still go ahead with a spey. I lost my first bun when she was 6 years old from uterine cancer because I didn't know the risks of not speying. And got told off by the vet when I collected her body because 'if you'd got her speyed this would never have happened' :cry:

There is a thread somewhere around with questions to ask your vet to make sure they are rabbit-savvy, I can't seem to find it at the moment but general things like asking them for their success rate with speying and asking if you need to starve your rabbit before the operation (a rabbit savvy vet will tell you to keep feeding right up until you take them in) etc. I'm sure someone with better knowledge of the search tool will be able to find the information better than me :oops:

Last edited:
Hi,:wave:

If you go to the rabbit care reference section, there is a thread by Tamsin which lists all the things a rabbit-savvy vet should be able to answer.

I'm new, so don't know how to add the link to this post...but it's definitely in the care section.

Maybe if you PM Tamsin, she will be able to help?

I had Mrs Bun speyed at just over a yr old.Shes gorgous since she had it done.(but then I didnt get her till she was 7 months and thought she was a fella till I took her to the vets cos she was behaving angrily and found out she was a hormonal lady!!)

Back