• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

veggies- refusing in the cold?

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
anyones buns refusing veggies due to the cold?

My guys are getting pellets (morning) unlimited hay and porridge (evening), and veggies (evening).

Sophie and Granite are refusing them, as is Cherry (un heated room). Sophie and granite I have moved into the outhouse, it is drier and warmer in there than in the hutch,

I have got them a hot water bottle each, along with their snuggle safes, and I am alternating them.

It snowed on the 18th Dec, and we didn't get rid until last Thursday, only for it to snow this Thurdsay. I think even they are getting sick of the cold weather.

Thank fully all mine are still munching the veg, especially cabbage and greens but they are not too bothered about carrots at the mo

All of mine are eating their veg normally :) Thank god, id be worried if they weren't. Maybe the porridge is filling them up? xXx

it is mainly carrot and inner green leaves from the cabbage, they are chomping on fresh greens as I type, Fussy *******!!

I did think about the porridge filling them up too, but I prefer that they have it and keep warm. They are still merrily chomping on the 1/2 bale of hay in the out house, and they havn't jumped the barrier, which is good, and fresh supplies are on the other side. Glad I stocked up now :)

I am worried about Cherry not eating her greens though :( not a good sign, as she is skinny anyways :( ) I have mushed her pellets for her tonight and added a packet of recovery, try and get her some weight on again :)

Last edited:
Alfie and Bubbles are still eating like there's no tomorrow - they were chasing me round the garden yesterday hoping I'd fall flat on my face and drop the apple I was holding. :lol::lol:

Is there a reason for the porridge? I thought it was good for putting weight on buns (Bubbles put weight on very quickly after her dental thanks to it) but I don't think it's good as a regular part of the diet.

If you want to warm them a little, how about offering them some water with a splash of hot from the kettle instead? :)

I shouldn't have thought the cold would stop them eating greens. It was -4 when I fed Gypsy earlier and she was still dancing around in circles excited about feed delivery.

Could be filling up tho I'd have thought they'd pick greens over hay. Might be worth a teeth check in case it's unrelated to the weather.

Tink and Roo have been much less enthusiastic about spring greens recently. Doubt it's the cold as they are indoors, their room temperature lowest would be about +6c. There's been a definite change in their eating patterns in the last month or so though :?

I don't think it's the quality of greens as they look alright to me too - sometimes you just know that they won't be quite up to the bunnies' expectations :roll: but not the case at the mo, and Artie still gets very excited about them :)

my 2 have totally gone off spring greens recently so i switched to sweetheart cabbage and they munch happily on that:?

Back