• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

information about snuffles U/D post 6

cooldarls

Alpha Buck
hey guys and girls. I was wondering if anyone can help, Buddy my bunny had snuffles at the start of december. he had 14 days antibiotis and nasal drops. His snufles seemed to go and he was happy bak in his hutch. Noticed today when i went out to spend some time with them that he looked like he was starting with a runny nose again.

What I am wondering is:
1, Is snuffles a things that Buddy is going to have for the rest of his life? He is 3 years old and not had a problem until this year.

2, Is there anything i can do now for him before taking him the vets as it has only just started.

3, Should he be on medication over the winter to help him with his snuffles or is it just a course of medication when it starts.

4, Is it contagious (spelt Wrong lol) because I dont want my other bunny to get it too.

Buddy is a bunny who loves cuddles and loads of fuss and is used to have medication as he has other problems due to being an ill runt of the litter when i found him. Bramble is very much his own bunny and does what he wants and comes for cuddles when he wants them, he would rather be exploring then sitting on you and being stroked. he thinks with his tummy i think lol.

hope someone can help me with my questions.

thanks
xxx

Last edited:
Hey there (that link up there is very informative thank you Jack's-Jane!),

I also have a rabbit with snuffles ~ Bramble is 8 years old and has been on and off of antibiotics for the last few months, my vet said it's something that once they get it though it can clear up it's always sort of dormant >.o ... She told me to wipe his nose for him, he's on antibiotics again and he's usually on for two weeks, and the runny nose usually stops within 3-7 days for him, and the course usually lasts about two weeks, and it isn't contageous I'm told it's caused by bacteria already present in your bunny. Also that link posted is very informative, told me plenty I didn't know!

Hope that helps ease your mind a little :)

Laura~

thankyou to you both for helping me out. I am going to sit and look at the link now. brought him in today for a little bit and he just lay infront of the tele stand as per usual. he must think that you are looking at him and not the telly, silly thing!!!!!!

Thankyou again

xxxx

Sorry to hear your bun is poorly. I too have had "snuffly" bunnies in the past.

I am sure the link Jane has given you will be very informative.

I would add that, whilst you want to keep a close eye on your bun and to keep him warm, it is not a good idea to bring him in to a warm house and then put him outside again, the temperature changes are just not good for them.

I hope he is better soon.

to be honest it wasnt that cold, I had the patio door openhile was breaking the chritsmas tree apart to put it in the wheelie bin. he was out in the garden to start with and then came in to see what all the fuss was about. he cannot stand fuss happening and him not being in the middle. got bored of the christmas tree and went and lay infront of the telly.
Bramble thought it was fun to sit in the pile of pines needles that i had put in a pile and then dig in them so they went flying. very micheivious at the moment.

thanks for the advice though

Well I have been intouch with my vet and have got Buddy antibiotics and nasal drops. Got to go and pick them up tomorrow. this is his second course in 2 months. Hopefully he will start showing signs of change in the next 10 days.

thanks for everyones help.
xxxx

Well I have been intouch with my vet and have got Buddy antibiotics and nasal drops. Got to go and pick them up tomorrow. this is his second course in 2 months. Hopefully he will start showing signs of change in the next 10 days.

thanks for everyones help.
xxxx

Has the Rabbit not been examined by the Vet :?

he was examined the last time he was bad and when i got intouch the fela on the phone said there was no appointments. my vet rang me and we talked for ages. he is a brilliant vet and have ben with him for many years with all my bunnies, trust him completely, he said we can do the same treatment and i have made appointment for thursday morning. to be honest with all the snow i have had today it is going to be hard to get there if its still like this. my brother is getting the stuff as he works down the road from the vets.

Back