• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A few more bonding questions? U/D see post 11 - what do you think?

kaths101

Warren Veteran
Ok so Sooty and oreo are still ok
When can i start putting litter trays back in? The pen is looking a bit blurgh now :lol:
and when I put the tray in shall I put some of their used hay and poops in it? so that they know its both of theirs or shall I put 2 in?
Also when do I start expanding their space?

thanks for the advice

Last edited:
:wave: Well in my in-experienced opinion I would put one each in for them if they have one already and being as they lived next door to each for so long and you swapped them it should be alright. I intend to provide two of everything but, then what do I know ?:lol::D

I bonded my three pairs with litter trays in, I just cleaned them all out with white vinegar first, then placed them with them as soon as I began the bond. I think you'll be good to put them back in now. :)

Did Oreo wee on hay in the end or did you put one large neutral one in?

No I decided to put nothing in and see how it went - but I put a pile of newspaper in 2 corners with hay on which imitates his tray so hes been using that - Sooty is just using everywhere!! :roll:

(lol im always happy to take peoples opinions whether they are experienced or not)

No I decided to put nothing in and see how it went - but I put a pile of newspaper in 2 corners with hay on which imitates his tray so hes been using that - Sooty is just using everywhere!! :roll:

(lol im always happy to take peoples opinions whether they are experienced or not)

:lol: me too Kath. I would just put their trays in tbh or as someone else said use one large one - I think Gizmo will prefer his own and sad as it is they have one each a pink one and a blue one and I would put them next to each other and see which one they use - I would clean them fully first with the vinegar though. If you sense any probs just get one big one. Are you doing one lot of food and water?

When I transferred Ralph and Ruby into their "living together" hutch, I washed it down with vinegar to make it completely neutral and put one litter tray in downstairs. They transferred to it very well and despite the fact it had been Ruby's hutch since I'd had her, the vinegar got rid of all smells, and there was not a poo out of place! :lol:

:lol: me too Kath. I would just put their trays in tbh or as someone else said use one large one - I think Gizmo will prefer his own and sad as it is they have one each a pink one and a blue one and I would put them next to each other and see which one they use - I would clean them fully first with the vinegar though. If you sense any probs just get one big one. Are you doing one lot of food and water?

Well I have got 2 brand new trays to put in - im such a wuss :lol:
I have got 2 bottles of water and 1 water bowl and both are drinking from all 3 at the mo..
The food im just sprinkling at the mo - though they are sharing :D Sooty was a bit crafty this morning though by eating both bits of carrot first before oreo noticed :lol::lol:

Ok well I have put the 2 trays in - do you think they are big enough to just have one? as they just jumped straight into the same one!
And yes I did put it in the corner but for some reason sooty always likes hers in the middle of the room :roll: I suppose it might be a bit of a squish at feeding time though :?

CIMG1064.jpg

:lol: :wave: I would still leave the two in there and they will use both I bet, maybe look for one large one the size of the two together but, I wouldn't worry as they can use both of those till you get one. They are funny aren't they with their little habits!

yes and i suppose when they have more space it wont feel so cramped with 2in there - that size tray is ideal as it is so easy to clean out as it fits in a bin bag so i dont really want a bigger one! been there done that and i end up making more mess than they do :lol:

yes and i suppose when they have more space it wont feel so cramped with 2in there - that size tray is ideal as it is so easy to clean out as it fits in a bin bag so i dont really want a bigger one! been there done that and i end up making more mess than they do :lol:

OMG thats the same here! I know what you mean I just tip it straight in and as I do it everyday it does save loads of time. Yes keep the two then - fussy buns, I am sure they will be happier with a little bit more space aswell, are you just going to increase it gradually each day?

OMG thats the same here! I know what you mean I just tip it straight in and as I do it everyday it does save loads of time. Yes keep the two then - fussy buns, I am sure they will be happier with a little bit more space aswell, are you just going to increase it gradually each day?

Yes, now I have 3 to do - those trays are really handy!!!
Janice advised 48 hours so tomorrow i will increase a little.. :D

I left mine for 24 hours coz I felt sorry or them in such a small space but they unbonded and I had to start again. So the longer you leave them the better. :)

Back