• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonds breaking down....

Gem

Wise Old Thumper
Just a general question really, would also be interested in hearing your experiences :wave:

We've got two sisters, they've been together since birth and were spayed and kept together through recovery.

They're coming up to two years old now and just in the last week have started fighting more than usual.

They've always had scuffles with a small amount of fur flying but have remained very close.

Tonight they really went for each other, fur everywhere and locked on teeth and claws. :cry:

They have both been vet checked in case somebun is poorly and both are fine. :)

Is there any chance they will bond again in the future?

Strawberry and Snowdrop were bonded but Strawberry was very assertive and Snowdrop became withdrawn. She was being chased constantly and eventually, when they discovered another male in the house Strawberry attacked her.

We are hoping to bond them as a trio but if that doesnt work we will keep them separate as its in Snowdrops best interest.

Declan and Elyse had been bonded for over a year with no signs of aggression at all. Then last week Declan needed a Dental. Elyse went with him to the Vets as usual. On their return home Elyse kept instigating scuffles. After 48 hours this developed into a serious fight leading to both Buns being injured.

Turns out that Declan was actually more poorly than 'just' needing a Dental. Two days after the fight he developed severe diarrhoea and was gravely ill for 36 hours. Coccidiosis was suspected for which he is now being treated.

So illness can be at the route of a broken bond. Either the ill Rabbit is grumpy and attacks the other or the well Rabbit senses a 'weakness' and drives the sick Rabbit away.

Declan and Elyse had been bonded for over a year with no signs of aggression at all. Then last week Declan needed a Dental. Elyse went with him to the Vets as usual. On their return home Elyse kept instigating scuffles. After 48 hours this developed into a serious fight leading to both Buns being injured.

Turns out that Declan was actually more poorly than 'just' needing a Dental. Two days after the fight he developed severe diarrhoea and was gravely ill for 36 hours. Coccidiosis was suspected for which he is now being treated.

So illness can be at the route of a broken bond. Either the ill Rabbit is grumpy and attacks the other or the well Rabbit senses a 'weakness' and drives the sick Rabbit away.

sorry to butt in jane but do you think that if illness is the bond-breaking factor, whether it may be possible to rebond the rabbits in future when the illness is (hopefully) resolved? i have resigned myself to having eric & esme living apart now but i still feel that there was something 'odd' btw my two:?

sorry to butt in jane but do you think that if illness is the bond-breaking factor, whether it may be possible to rebond the rabbits in future when the illness is (hopefully) resolved? i have resigned myself to having eric & esme living apart now but i still feel that there was something 'odd' btw my two:?

I guess it might be possible after the ill Bun has fully recovered and the rebond is done on 100% neutral territory.

Also lack of space can instigate fights when they can't get away from each other or out of sight.

Back