• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buzz's Behaviour

Candiflare

Mama Doe
Since my foster bun Buzz has settled down with me, a few behaviours and habits that I thought would settle down after neutering, haven't settled. He nips (not viciously) when you try to touch his head and he also sprays A LOT. I think in his previous home he might have had something dropped on his head :shock: and he was living with 5 guineas in a small hutch who used to bully him by their strength in numbers, only giving him a small space to move in.

My concern is that I will rehome him in the next few years/months (whenever it happens) and he will come straight back because people can't deal with his habits. I will happily home and unconditionally love him until he finds his forever home, but I feel I should really be working on these behaviours. I suppose what I'm trying to ask is whether bad habits are something people just "accept" in an adopted bun because they are likely to have a chequered past, or whether adoptees expect buns to be perfect? If so, how can I start tempering his nipping and spraying so he will make a good pet for any adoptee?

When was he neutered? Maybe the hormones haven't settled yet?:?

Some rescues have buns come in with behavioural problems and with some understandng, love and care, they turn into the perfect bunny:love:

He was neutered about two months ago... I know it takes a while, but I'd expect it to be gradually settling by now.

Do you think any rescues would take him for a couple of weeks to start him off on behavioural training and let me know how to do it...?

I feel like an idiot for not having any progress in changing it. is there anything I can do when he nips to make him not do it the next time without scaring him?

have a sheet prepared with all his faults, and make sure any prospective adopters read it. probably it will take longer to find an adopter, but people here prove day after day that they love their feisty bunnies.

You're not an idiot, he probably just needs a bit more time. As you said, you don't know how he was treated really before you got him:?

As for the biting, i've read somewhere about letting out a little yelp when bun does bite so he knows he has hurt you but don't snatch your hand away. Then just ignore or even turn your back on him. Sounds a bit mad but it may work:)

Hi :wave:

Are you keeping him in doors or outside? I have also read that ''problem'' buns change quite dramatically when they have a friend ot their own. He also may be easier to rehome if he is bonded.

There can be a lot of reasons why a bunny nips. It might be that he doesnt want you to pick him up so is nipping to say this. He also might be smelling the unspayed female, or Ralphy from you. He also could be spraying because of Ralph. He equally could be startled by the hand coming towards his head, so it nipping before realizing.

I dont think he is "turning vicious" and it will put people off adopting him.

When you lay on the floor with him will he allow you to stroke him then.

I am so sorry to read about your grandfather. I have only just seen the post.

Last edited:
Hi :wave:

Are you keeping him in doors or outside? I have also read that ''problem'' buns change quite dramatically when they have a friend ot their own. He also may be easier to rehome if he is bonded.

He is outside. I definitely agree that he needs a friend for company... maybe I should try and pair him up with another bond from a rescue...

There can be a lot of reasons why a bunny nips. It might be that he doesnt want you to pick him up so is nipping to say this. He also might be smelling the unspayed female, or Ralphy from you. He also could be spraying because of Ralph. He equally could be started by the hand coming towards his head, so it nipping before realizing.

I dont think he is "turning vicious" and it will put people off adopting him.

I know I might sound like a broken record :cry: but I really am careful to change clothes/wash between handling Ralph and Ruby/Buzz. They are also in separate sheds in the garden and have separate toys and runs. I never have them out together or alongside each other anymore.

I don't think he's turning vicious either... I'm just worried that I'm doing something wrong...

T

If I lie on the floor with him, he still tries to nip me when I put my hand on his head... the reason I think he was hit on the head in his previous house was because when I saw the accomodation, there was a very low shelf that kept falling down on to his head while the owner was trying to pick him up...

Thanks about my grandfather :) it's not over yet, got the funeral on wed :roll:

Back