• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Food -do they know what to eat ?

Kenty

New Kit
Hello , i sometimes let the bunns have the run of the garden which they love to eat the grass and nibble at the plants which in winter i am not too bothered and have a good run around .
But do they know what they can and cannot eat ? One today ate a conifer hedge branch which i wouldn`t of thought would have liked but by god did he get through it !
I have read that cucumber,tomato lettuce are no no`s but what about other veggies as treats. How much carrot is enough for instance ?
They have pellets am/pm and hay ,and treats occasional .
They are approx 7months old .
Regards Keith

Hello!

You might this thread in the Reference section helpful - (( Here )) - rabbits will eat things that aren't good for them though so best check your garden for anything obviously poisonous such as rhubarb leaves, foxgloves etc. :)

Lettuce in itself isn't bad but Iceberg lettuce is most definitely *not* good so never feed it. I feed other types of lettuce such as Romaine, Mini Gem lettuces etc to my Guinea Pigs with no harmful effects.

When introducing them to veggies it's as well to to give them one at a time so that you can see if any of them don't agree with them.

ETA: I'm a newbie and a learner myself and don't have any rabbits yet so am by no means an expert. Am sure someone more knowledgable shall come along soon though.

I think it varies from rabbit to rabbit. A lot of the things that arent't good for them mine won't eat, but when it comes to sweet things they'll eat anything! I'd always check and remove anything poisonous to be on the safe side.

Rabbits will eat anything, regardless of if it's good for them or not! Cucumber is okay in small portions, carrot too as it's very high in sugar and not good for teeth. The best things to feed are lots of hay and green vegetables, like spring greens (which are very cheap too). Iceberg lettuce is a no-no.
This list is good http://www.rabbit.org/care/veggies.html and there are lots of threads on here about different veggies. Whenever you feed your rabbit something new keep an eye on them and their poo in case it disagrees with them. There's a list of poisonous plants on there too. If you can't get rid of anything poisonous in your garden you'll need to fence the buns in I'm afraid as they will eat anything put in front of them!

Back