• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies genitals .

Kenty

New Kit
I gave my two 7 month old bunnies a good look at today as they have just been separated as they were starting to fight.

I am glad i did as found a couple of scabs and one has a cut eye lid ,
one has very different genitals to the other .

I am wondering if one has been damaged by the fight ? There is no blood or exposed wound in the genital area but it looks like a dry soft slug or black chilli pepper but is attatched all along its length ,i thought they were testicals but doesn`t seem normal to me :?
The other does seem normal with two testicals under the fur.

Sorry for any bad descriptions :oops:
They are both going to the vet Tues so will get them to check them both .

Hi Keith.

It sounds like you are describing the wax in the scent gland to me. If you have found a dark hard shiney eliptical shaped piece of something stuck to the bit below/either side of the penis (between the tail and the penis) then this is what it will be. Should be a slit either side of the gentials (both females and males have these) and it's how they scent. It can be gently cleaned or pulled off.

If it doesn't sound how I describe, you could try posting a photo for us to have a look at.

Helen

Last edited:
You may need to get them to the vets before tuesday. Dont like to worry you but i had 2 male brother together, they lived fine together until they were 20 weeks old and one night all hell broke loose. I got them to the vets the day after and Reggie had tried to castrate Ronnie, and Ronnie had to have surgery straight away to get fixed.

Male bunnies dont live well together, they basically go for each others bits if they fight so they can castrate each other :shock: they both will need to be neutered :( I hope all goes ok for you.

Let us know how you get on xXx

bumping this up

Sorry - I don't have any info as to what boy buns should look like as only had girl buns but hope someone on here can help you soon -sue:wave:

Last edited:
You may need to get them to the vets before tuesday. Dont like to worry you but i had 2 male brother together, they lived fine together until they were 20 weeks old and one night all hell broke loose. I got them to the vets the day after and Reggie had tried to castrate Ronnie, and Ronnie had to have surgery straight away to get fixed.

Male bunnies dont live well together, they basically go for each others bits if they fight so they can castrate each other :shock: they both will need to be neutered :( I hope all goes ok for you.

Let us know how you get on xXx

EEEK!! Is that even when they have been neutered? I have 3 boys, they are due to be done on Friday

Hi it doesn`t look like the wax ,putting it bluntly it looks like a deflated penis but is attatched all along it length it is about 1 1/2 inch long and there is asimilar one opposite but not the same .
I am worried i must say , the bunnie seems to be in no pain ,is eating,drinking,pooing and still moving around normally.
I must admit we did not poke about too much .
I may go and get him for a better look .
He is going to the vet anyway so all will be revealed ,hopefully it is nothing serious and i am being paranoid .But i have a feeling it isn`t and it isn`t normal :(
I do so wish i new to seperate them sooner :?
It may also be nothing to do with them fighting .

If he has been attacked by the other in that region wouldn`t there be blood every where ?He is white so would show up .
I only found this as i looked into his fur.

By the way, who we are talking about are Fudge and Snowball .:D

Last edited:
There would most likely have been blood if one had managed to get at the others testicles as rabbits skin is very friable/tears easily so that they can escape capture from preditors, however they also heal very quickly.

It doesn't sound like damage caused by fighting to me, but difficult to tell from your description. The deposit in the glands by the way can also be much lighter in colour.

If you aren't sure, then it would be very wise to get them both checked by the vets.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

If you'd like any help when it comes to rebonding your rabbits following their neuters (normally safe to put them back together on neutral territory after about 4 weeks) PM me your e-mail and I'll send you a leaflet with some info about bonding/rebonding bunnies.

Helen

Thanks for that Helen i will do .

Rabbits are weird or their genital area is anyway :lol:
I have just had a closer look and i think Snowball just has big balls with alot of sack :lol: There are no signs of tears or damage ,but still no clearer on the arrangments down there :roll:
Do they have two sacks one on each side ? with the penis just below this? What i don`t get is it seems the wrong way around to us men. :D

Thanks for that Helen i will do .

Rabbits are weird or their genital area is anyway :lol:
I have just had a closer look and i think Snowball just has big balls with alot of sack :lol: There are no signs of tears or damage ,but still no clearer on the arrangments down there :roll:
Do they have two sacks one on each side ? with the penis just below this? What i don`t get is it seems the wrong way around to us men. :D

Have a look here: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=46514&page=2 (especially the links on Post 20) Warning: graphic rabbit genitalia pictures :)

Neutered males will get on fine :)

It does sound like bunny bits your describing :oops: Sometimes the skin is darker :oops: ;)

Hope all buns are ok :) Can we see pics of them?! The bunnies themselves that is :lol: xXx

Neutered males will get on fine :)

It does sound like bunny bits your describing :oops: Sometimes the skin is darker :oops: ;)

Hope all buns are ok :) Can we see pics of them?! The bunnies themselves that is :lol: xXx

I have just made them a new two storey palace :D with pitched lift up roof for storage of bunny things .I have just got to put felt on top .I have put a temporary blanking board over the cut out were the stair ramp goes so they can live apart until they have been neutered and rebonded.Then the ramp can hopefully be put back and they both can live happily together.
When i have it in use and the two little ******* have moved in will take pictures .
Regards Keith

Back