• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my rescue guinea pig

rexy&coco

Warren Scout
he/she has been homeless since before xmas, he had wondered onto a friends small holding, houses are over a mile away, it has been living in an open barn.
a hawk had noticed him and started hanging around,
my friend just isnt a small furry creature fan so managed to catch him in a trap box to keep it safe from the hawk.
he has not had propper food while he has been there just what he could scavenge,
he is in an outside hutch now but we will try and get the hutch into the shed for tomorrow night,
are they smelly , i really dont know anything about piggies at all. never thought i'd own one, just couldnt bare to think of it it a tiny box,

when it settles down i would like to see what sex it is-- any tips??
name ideas would be good too. but not girl or boy ones, it is a short haired gingery brown with pinkish eyes..
will try upload a photo sometime..

Good for you rescuing it!

Piggies are really sweet little pets but they are quite shy. They need guinea pig food because it has vitamin C in it, they can eat more greenstuff than rabbits but I'd go easy just to start off with. My two used to like celery, carrots, greens, kale, cucumber and parsley.

They are not smelly pets but you can't litter train them like rabbits. They tend to just wee and poo as they go but you do get a bit of warning because they tend to wiggle on your lap before they 'go'.

They adore the company of other piggies and are easier to bond (I think anyway) than rabbits. Sexing-wise, males tend to have quite obvious bits!

In terms of living outside, they do better in sheds or outhouse (or indoors) really. It is going to be really cold tonight, so I would try to get him inside somewhere in the hutch if you can. If not, I'd use a Snugglesafe heatpad if you have one or make sure he has plenty of hay.

Keep us posted.

PS. Name-wise, what about Ginger or Russet?

we have the name sorted- rusty!!
my kids arnt impressed with rusty so suggestions please

Last edited:
Back