• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

If it isn't mites

Nicole+Alex

Warren Scout
Hi, 3 weeks ago we noticed flakey patch on our male house bunny, we have just moved house and took him him and our female to the new vets who applied topical cream. they did a sticky test but no mites were found. Things improved for a while but then the flakes came back and they had an injection of the mite stuff. However things don't seem to be clearing up. We're booked in for another injection in 2 weeks, but were wondering if it isn't mites what else it could be?

did you thoroughly disinfect the environment during and after the mite treatments aswell? they are right pesky things to get rid of. my piggies got them 3x even when i thought i had cleaned really thoroughly. :evil:

what bedding do you use? maybe something is irritating his skin... woodshaving etc, even pet blankets washed in certain washing powders/not rinsed properly...

or maybe because the heating has been on more in this cold weather and dried his skin out a bit?

bisc and matt used to get flaky skin at the base of their ears and scratched alot... i was convinced they had mites but it turned out to be them getting used to the central heating when we moved here.

just some ideas :wave:

Not sure we disinfected the second time as my boyfriend had to have an operation. Also we've been trying to keep their stuff smelling of them to aid their transition to the new house. Not sure it's heating as it's a bit cooler here than in the old house. It is on the top of his back (a small 1inch spot) if that makes any difference.

that's ok... not to sure to be honest, hopefully someone else will be along soon who will have a better idea. :)

Unfortunately mites can take quite a few injections or ivertmectin treatments to clear the problem up. Vets are finding that mites are becoming more and more resistant to treatment but unfortunately there is no other treatment available.

The vet should be able to take a skin scrapping to confirm that its mites, it is quick and easily done and relatively inexpensive :)

Back