• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hello from all at Birdie Towers

Birdie

Young Bun
Hi there :wave:, i am Kirsty and am usually found lurking on sighthound forums as i have 3 lurchers, 1 ex racing greyhound and a terrier cross. I am also a trustee of the Sighthound Welfare Trust.

I also tho have two bunnies called Maisie and Tilly Opal Bean who are both house bunnies.

DSCF5387.jpg

DSCF5380.jpg

I have had bunnies for 13 years now in my adult life as i had Benjamin until he was 11 1/2 years old. It was just he and i until i found my first sighthound at the side of the road. The dog was never claimed and so Milo came to live with us and became good friends with Benjamin even once saving his life when a cat came from nowhere over the wall. Benj ran, the cat ran and Milo ran. I found Milo standing over Benj at the side of the house :love:

Mib-1-1.jpg

MiloandBenj-1.jpg

A year later i also took on Meg who was a cruelty case from the RSPCA. SHe also proved that sighthounds can live with bunnies and so for many years they all lived together.

Mb7-1.jpg

Sadly Benjamin went to Rainbow Bridge in March 2008 and Milo the same year in May.

I wasn't going to get another bunny but my OH knew how much i missed him and so suprised me with Thomas at Easter.

Tia051.jpg

Thomas only lived here a week and died due to probable congential heart failure. To say i was devastated was an understatement and so Maisie and Tilly moved in.

Inbetween i had also found another abandoned dog found injured and wandering the streets and prior to that rehomed another little whippety lurcher from TIA. We have also been joined by Alan my greyhound who found himself unwanted at the age of 10 1/2

Oh and i also have a goldfish caled Neptune :D

I do think i could detrain them both in the same way as i did Meg and Milo but i feel the general footfall would be too much for them and so they have their own bedroom.

Hi and welcome to the forum, :wave:

You have lovely animals, and Benjamin was so hansome.

I hope you enjoy the forum xx

Welcome to RU.:wave:
I'm so sorry for the loss of Benjamin and Milo.:cry: I'm sure they are both having fun together at the Rainbow Bridge.

Thankyou :D I am very biased but he was wasn't he :love:

Definitely. They just look so content together.

Hello and welcome! :wave: Maisie and Tilly Opal Bean are gorgeous, how did you come up with the name Opal Bean if you don't mind me asking? :) I'm a sucker for pictures of rabbits in pairs.

Definitely. They just look so content together.

Hello and welcome! :wave: Maisie and Tilly Opal Bean are gorgeous, how did you come up with the name Opal Bean if you don't mind me asking? :) I'm a sucker for pictures of rabbits in pairs.

Well after some debate i called her Tilly and i discovered that her colouring is called Opal (i thought so although am not an expert on nethy colours). One of my lurchers is called Holly Bean and as they are 'sisters' Tilly got Bean on the end of her name too.

She only gets her full name when she is being told off tho and won't hop back into her hutch :D

Wow! What fabulous pictures.

We have been thinking for some time about getting a dog and have come to realise that we both love Greyhounds and Lurchers (we previously had a Lurcher cross rescue dog). We met a lady on the seafront in Eastbourne recently with her rescue Greyhound Woody, she introduced us and we fell in love. I have since been looking around the Greyhound rescue sites (but still worrying about the dog/rabbit mix) - your story and photos have proven it can be done, thank you.

Wow! What fabulous pictures.

We have been thinking for some time about getting a dog and have come to realise that we both love Greyhounds and Lurchers (we previously had a Lurcher cross rescue dog). We met a lady on the seafront in Eastbourne recently with her rescue Greyhound Woody, she introduced us and we fell in love. I have since been looking around the Greyhound rescue sites (but still worrying about the dog/rabbit mix) - your story and photos have proven it can be done, thank you.

Any good rescue will be able to advise on finding a dog suitable to live with small furries.

On saying that tho i know for a fact both mine would have probably failed a cat test. I found Milo in a ditch so had no idea of his history although he was likely a long dog (sighthound x sighthound) and used for working judging by the state of him. Meg was a cruelty case from the RSPCA. She has been starved, tormented and as she has little round scars on her body she was also used as an ash tray.

She in particular used to scavange food and would eat Benj's food if i didn;t watch her. Quite bizarre that she never at the bunny but just his corn :roll:

All would chase cats when off lead and like to go sniffing for bunnies in the field although never catch them.

I am so glad you are thinking of rehoming one as i don't think people realise the probems with overbreeding with greyhounds and how many 'retire' from racing each year. It is only the lucky ones that make it to a rescue :( I myself have found 2 of my lurchers abandoned and injured. If they are no good then they just have no use for them

Well after some debate i called her Tilly and i discovered that her colouring is called Opal (i thought so although am not an expert on nethy colours). One of my lurchers is called Holly Bean and as they are 'sisters' Tilly got Bean on the end of her name too.

She only gets her full name when she is being told off tho and won't hop back into her hutch :D

Hee hee very cute. Vin (my bun) is the same, she only ever gets her full name when she's doing a mischief! It's nice that the sisters have the same name :)

Back