• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rescued a guinea pig,........advise please

rexy&coco

Warren Scout
have him in a hutch with food water, plenty of straw and hay..................what else do i need?????????????????:roll:

If he's outdoors please take measures to make sure he's warm enough as piggies are more prone to extremes of temperature than rabbits. Generally; if they can't be indoor pigs they're better off with their hutch inside a shed or something similar. :)

Space-wise they need a minimum of 4ft x 2ft but it sounds as though you've got things covered really.

My two **adore** their veggies which I feed twice a day. If we forget they 'wheeeeekkkk' at us to remind us. :love:

Food-wise like rabbits they only need a very small quantity of pellets rather than mixed food. I use Oxbow as it's Timothy hay based. x

A hidey hole. Either just a cardboard box for now, or one of the igloo type homes they have in P@H etc. Toilet roll tubes, or something similar by way of a boredom breaker. My Piggy was a real hay monster, so plenty and plenty of that. Eventually you'll need to look at piggy shampoo's and the likes, but for now, just a good home, food, water and love will be fine :D

As the other 2 have already said. You also need to watch out for the straw as it's spikier than hay and their eyes are quite close to the floor so it may poke them in the eye. Just a minor detail though.

They also quite like heat pads as they feel the cold more than bunnies.

Back