• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Caring for a long-term poorly bun

Veronica

Mama Doe
It seems that Snowy's snuffle problem is going to be a long term issue.
He's constantly having to to and fro from the vets and I've resigned myself to the fact that this little bunny will always have something ongoing. (Poor boy :( )

In himself, he is healthy, fit, eating well and happy. It's the snotty nose and sneezing fits that are just unpleasant to me as they are to him, but I am determined to get to the bottom of the cause and at least try and soften the symptoms if we can't get a cure.

Who else out there has a long-term poorly bunny?

Vibes for Snowy please :love: I love him so much :love:

loads of vibes xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

raises hand - Pearl is a terminal bunny and has 4 different drugs a day...at the moment i dont think i can even call it long term tbh

loads of vibes xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

raises hand - Pearl is a terminal bunny and has 4 different drugs a day...at the moment i dont think i can even call it long term tbh

Oh God, I'm so sorry.
See, I feel sometimes so stressed with Snowy, and yet in the grand scheme of things, his condition is by no way the most serious.
It can be a very worry thing being a bunny mum and caring for a poorly bunny.

Vibes for Pearl :love:

lots of vibes for you girl...

I also have a long term ill bunny. Noisette has baytril injections daily and the poor girls back is covered in scabs. I have no idea how her abcess will affect her life span, but I am not keen on the numbers that I am imagning :(

lots of vibes for you girl...

I also have a long term ill bunny. Noisette has baytril injections daily and the poor girls back is covered in scabs. I have no idea how her abcess will affect her life span, but I am not keen on the numbers that I am imagning :(

I've been told by my vet that daily pencillin injections are next for Snowy. I will be shown how to do them...which will be fun, as I'm petrified of needles!!!! :? :? :? :?

poor snowy.

i also have bunnies who seem to have ongoing problems and matt has now been on meds for nearly a year for his uri... doing much better now though, although it has taken a long time.

bisc also has problems.

i hope one day they will both be off all meds though... but it has been a long road so far... but i am determined to get them fully better, or at the very least, make them stable.

hugs to everyone else looking after a poorly bunny. xx

hugs to everyone else looking after a poorly bunny. xx

I think you said it there in a nutshell! I second you! :

Here's my Snowy....
DSC02836.jpg

Vibes for Snowy.....

I can join this long term ill bunny club - Lionel :( Like Donna i say long term but it is going to take him before his time he is only 2 and a half and is not expected to make it to 3 :cry: He has depocilin injections every other day, bisolvon every day and dexafort once a week.

Hugs to all the bunny mum's with poorly ones xxxx

Last edited:
Sending lots of vibes for Snowy, he's very lucky to have found a very caring mum:D

Chester was mine, unfortunately he passed away just before Christmas:cry:
bunnies524-1.jpg

The bond between you becomes so much stronger when you are nursing a sick bunny, Chester was on oral meds daily and injections every 3rd day:(

Lots of vibes. Lola is a long-term poorly bun, she's a dental bunny with severe dental disease, she's on long term antibiotics at the moment :(.

I've got a few on life-long penicillin too :wave:

Vernon and Bramble who have jaw abscesses

Tramp who had a couple of abscesses removed from his face before I got him and gets snuffly if he comes off meds

and Dominic who gets a different problem every time he comes off meds...including eye infection, runny nose, ear infection, and pustules on his willy! :shock:

I have Snowdrop who has a stomach condition called Megacolon. She has a special diet and meds twice daily when she is having a flare up. She suffers from diahorrea, irregular shaped faeces, regular bouts of bloat and has just recently been in stasis. We are not sure how this condition will affect her life span. For now she is happy so we will continue treating her bloats untill I get the feeling she has had enough.

She struggles to gain or maintain weight as she doesnt abosrb nutriants from her food well but has gone from 2kg in Oct (very underweight for her size) to 2.3kg when she was weighed last week so I am so pleased!

Your Snowy is adorable.:love:

My Thumper's teeth don't meet properly at the back so he needs dental surgery every month - 5 weeks.
He also has a "sluggish" lower bowel, & has difficulty drinking at times.
I suppose he needs medicines 2 weeks out of 4.

ETA He's still here after 4 years of problems!

I've been told by my vet that daily pencillin injections are next for Snowy. I will be shown how to do them...which will be fun, as I'm petrified of needles!!!! :? :? :? :?

oops, sorry, I just called Snowy a girl... sorry little man! :lol:

Its not daunting at all! Actually, I loved doing the injections to begin with.. it made me feel that tiny little closer to being a vet :lol: :oops: But honestly, the buns hardly realise you are injecting them most of the time... you just need someone to distract them with food or head rubs and then you go in! Injections are done religiously here, but I just wish she didn't have to be on them :(

hope your little man will be okay xxx

Harley's our long term poorly bun here with a jaw abcess pressing on her windpipe :cry:

She's on Depocillin every other day :( I don't think she'll make it though, she's almost six

I'll join the club with Merlin he has been back and forth to the vet with his snuffles. Fingers crossed seems to be getting a bit better at the mo but won't speak too soon and he's putting on weight:). Vibes for your little one.

I have just posted a thread about my little nethy, Tilly who also has ongoing snuffles.

I haven;t found a cure for her yet and so she takes a lot of time and attention to keep her clean and fairly well so you have my every symapthies.

In the last few months of Benj's life he developed a cyst probably secondary to a tumour. He was well in himself tho and i used to drain the cyst myself with a wide bore needle. It started off monthly but as the tumour got worse so did the cyst so it was drained weekly then every other day.

Despite this he was happy and shown no signs of pain. He ate well although requited you to pass him his food particularly prefering the red stars and yellow circles. He woudl still try and climb up you if you were eating chocolate as he was a bit norty like that.

We did bunny physio with him daily to prevent muscle wastage and he passed away in the sunshine one day when he was ready.

I do think that you get out what you put in so stick with it and Snowy will love you for it x

Back