• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to use instead of sawdust?

lja401

Warren Scout
What could we use instead of saw dust for his litter tray and bedding? We use straw and a non clumping cat litter too.

I use megazorb, which is normally used for horses. it is a wood pulp that is safe for buns. It is £9 for a 15(?)kg bag, and lasts for ages

megazorb. i phoned the equine supplier, bought it over the phone and they delivered it.

oooh, cross post, ll. did you get yours from bh? mine was 7.25

i didn't like carefresh. it was ridiculously expensive, looked nasty in the trays, didn't deal with smells and my bunkins thought it was a snack!

Last edited:
megazorb. I wouldn't use cat litter of any sort except the wooden pelleted variety & I would cover that in a deep layer of lay or straw as mine tend to eat it :)

Megazorb. I'm fortunate to live near a supplier so don't have to pay carriage fees. The pre- Christmas price was £6.50, and it's now gone up to £7.42 but I still think it's great value.

I use a cardboard bedding in my guinea pigs' litter tray - I can get it from a local-ish supplier so it's only about £6.00 for a huge 20kg bale - but will be trying out Megazorb when we next go to get a hay bale. (I forgot to ask about it last time we went! :oops: )

If you don't use much you can buy carefresh in most pet shops, they sell it in large bags at some pet shops like P@H for about £15.

I use vetbed for their hutches although they are indoor bunnies and their trays have the shredded small animal paper in.

Tilly has a sore nose which was thought due to allergies so i stopped using shavings and was told megazorb might make it worse.

It does mean i do a bit more laundry tho :roll:

Back