• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can bunnies catch a human cold

kgattrell

Alpha Buck
I know it is probably a stupid question but thought I'd just check. I've got a really horrid cold so have been limiting my time with them but it also means they don't have free run of flat at the moment just their room. I don't want them getting ill of me... Can they catch a cold :oops:

I would like to know this too. I've just moved my two lops in with me in my bedroom and have caught something so have barely got out of bed the past two days. I don't want to shut them up as their base is too small to shut them up for a long period of time. It really is more of a base than a cage.

That's good to know. They are keeping me company at the moment. :) Mini keeps jumping on the bed to sit with me.

Rabbits can catch cold sores from humans...so avoid kissing your rabs if you get one, and make sure you wash your hands regularly

We're not aware of many diseases that rabbits can catch from humans (we have already mentioned ringworm) but whether this is because diseases don't pass from human to rabbit, or whether it is because we don't recognise or look for them, remains to be seen.

One recently recognised hazard that most rabbit owners will not be aware of is that rabbits are highly susceptible to herpes simplex virus or HSV, which causes cold sores in humans. HSV can cause a nasty brain infection (encephalitis) in rabbits, with features such as sudden head tilt and loss of balance that could mimic a dramatic middle ear infection, or E. cuniculi related problems. HSV infection is well studied in laboratory rabbits, but there are now at least two reports in the literature of previously healthy pet rabbits who have developed HSV encephalitis at the same time their owners had cold sores. We don't know yet how significant this risk is, but until more information is available, we would advise rabbit owners with an active cold sore to wash their hands before handling their rabbit and definitely not to kiss the bunny until the cold sore has gone.

From RWAF.

Just to remind everyone, although I expect you know already, if you're bun has a runny nose or is sneezing it needs to be seen by a vet ASAP.

Back