• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying

BaileyBunn

Warren Scout
Hi, my bunn bailey is just over 6 months old and ive been advised thats a good time to have her spayed, shes my first rabbit so ive never experianced spaying/neutering and am abit nervous about the op, Just wondering if anyones ever lost a bunn from spaying/neutering? basically im just looking for reassurence that im doing the right thing...:roll:
thanks x

It IS the right thing to do BUT please ring round lots of vets and ensure that you have a vet who is experienced and knowledgeable about rabbit surgery. Check that they do NOT starve rabbits before the op., that they do a LOT of rabbit neuters, that they do not 'loose' rabbits under anaesthetic, and that they give adequate pain killers after the procedure etc etc.

If you post a new thread on here asking for a good rabbit vet in your area you should get recommendations.

I will never forget at a recent conference a vet from Cornwall who said he never recommended rabbit spays as they were so 'difficult':shock::shock::shock::shock:

From what my vet has told me, it's not the actual op itself that causes a bun to die (when done correctly) it's the shock of the GA and/or op AFTERWARDS that is the problem. She did a lots of research into this when she was at uni many years ago.

Find a good bun vet and ask them lots of questions such as how many female buns they have spayed and what their success rate is. 90% isn't good enough, mind. For example, my vet had performed 86 spays in six months and lost one which didn't take to the GA well.

When i had Amber spayed i was a complete nervous wreck but the reasons why i needed to spay her made me do it. Now she is calmer, happier and has a lovely husbun.

Back