• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Frozen water bowls

BeatrixPotter

Mama Doe
Just a quick question about water bowls.

Last winter when I just had Peter I used water bottles with a hugger. This year with 4 outdoor buns using bowls I'm not sure what to do to stop them freezing. The bowls are in the hutch part which is stuffed with straw and hay and the hutches are covered but the bowls still freeze.

I have given both pairs a bottle as back up but I'm not sure Leo and Lila or Posy know what to do with them having always had a bowl to drink from.

Is there anything I can do to prevent them freezing?

I put glycerine in, they still freeze, but most of the time just freeze to a slush instead of solid, so they can get a little drink.

Someone also suggested a snuggle safe under the bowl.

spare bottles/bowls, fresh fruit/veg

We have spare bottles on hand to swap for the frozen ones, and fresh veg/fruit contains a % of water too.

Ive been putting a snugglesafe under Ronnie and Lolas bowl :) It does work but means the buns cant actually have their snugglesafe until i buy another

Back