• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

One of the coldest winters in 100 years?

AnyBunny

Warren Scout
All

Please don't be caught out and please don't underestimate how severe it could be.

"Britain facing one of the coldest winters in 100 years, experts predict,
with temperatures hitting minus 16 degrees Celsius.

They predicted no let up in the freezing snap until at least mid-January, with snow, ice and severe frosts dominating.

And the likelihood is that the second half of the month will be even colder."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/w...est-winters-in-100-years-experts-predict.html

Various parts of Scotland have already been seeing night-time temperatures of minus 16 degrees Celsius in recent weeks.

Last edited:
my dad was saying he cannot remember it snowing soo much since he was a little child :shock: its like the rain has changed for snow

*GASP* - that'll be global warming then :lol::lol::lol::lol: Quick - shove some more taxes on the car drivers. That'll slow it all down a bit.

Better make sure I've got more fresh straw for the bunnies - although they don't seem too bothered by the cold.

:shock::shock::shock:

I'm definitely taking it seriously. We had snow on the ground for a week which I haven't seen for a lot of years.

It's snowing like it means business outside and everything is white again :(

I've heard some old folk saying, "I told you it would be another 1947 - there was a lot of berries and rosehips this time" :shock::shock:

I'm wondering how my ponds will cope with such cold temperatures. I have a couple of 100 gallon ponds above the ground, they've not had to face anything this cold before :cry::cry: *starts thinking about some sort of insulation to protect them*

Nooooo. I hate the snow and the cold. Thank god I bought the shed heater the other day, looks like i'll have to have that on for a while if it gets to -16 :shock::shock:

I have to really really important thingsI've dreamed of doing for a long time I have to travel for at the end of january :( Please melt snow

It does seem pretty cold this winter,m and apparently the next few weeks are going to be more snow and cold than most of us have seen !

I hate this weather it is so hard on my old farm animals. Every day I dread that the cold has just been too much for them- even though mine are better protected than others. To add to the worry a friend's outbuilding has just collapsed under the weight of snow on the roof, I'm now panicking something similar will happen to us and the pigs, goats and horses are in all of the time or overnight.:shock:

my vet today said bunnies are really suffering in this weather. shes had loads and loads to see these last few weeks. Alvin has already done hunger strike and Pearls breathing has gone awful

cant win.... too hot for them in the summer and too cold in the winter...

i need to live somewhere that the seasons are a constant type of weather so my poor angels stop suffering :cry::cry::cry:

I bought a heater for the bunnies shed a couple of weeks ago. It is the best thing I have bought in ages. Their water doesn't freeze and their hay doesn't feel damp. And it was only £21!

Also means I don't freeze to death when I go out and sit with them! :D

Only good thing about loads of snow- cant go to work!!! I knew living in the country had its advantages. Ok so I can't order Dominos and if I want fried chicken at 2am its tough poo, but when it snows those country roads are impossible so I wont be going anywhere!

my vet today said bunnies are really suffering in this weather. shes had loads and loads to see these last few weeks. Alvin has already done hunger strike and Pearls breathing has gone awful

I spoke to Louise/doorkeeper before Christmas about the extended cold spell and suggested that she add barley rings to the rabbits' diet while the weather is so cold.

The usual criticism of barley rings is that they are very high in calories and therefore not suitable for rabbits as anything other than an occasional treat. However the extra calories should help rabbits to maintain their body temperature against the cold. Obviously, small rabbits such as nethies have a much harder job than large ones such as French lops in maintaining body temperature, but all would probably benefit from a few barley rings added to their pellets.

They're also very cheap (about £8 for a 15kg sack) and can be softened with warm water to make a porridge for dental bunnies.

not the time to have all of the double glazing packing up then! i am having awful problems with condensation if it gets any colder i will have ice inside the house! i live up a hill too so driving anywhere is awful, but becasue i am close enough to the city centre i can't call in a snow day like i could when i lived in the middle of no where :( but we get it bad up here on the hill :(

I bought a heater for the bunnies shed a couple of weeks ago. It is the best thing I have bought in ages. Their water doesn't freeze and their hay doesn't feel damp. And it was only £21!

Also means I don't freeze to death when I go out and sit with them! :D

Best thing about my heater too! I was lovely and snug sat in the shed on my little deck chair with my buns tonight. Was just sat snuggling and cosy for half an hour, didn't want to come out.

Where are you getting these heaters from, I would have thought they would be dangerous in confined spaces. I am thinking of bringing Sophie and Granite into the outhouse for a few days -6 tonight and -8 predicted for tomorrow.

I do wonder what I can do for the outdoor bunnies.

Where are you getting these heaters from, I would have thought they would be dangerous in confined spaces. I am thinking of bringing Sophie and Granite into the outhouse for a few days -6 tonight and -8 predicted for tomorrow.

I do wonder what I can do for the outdoor bunnies.

I started a thread on this - hope I get an answer and they arent too expensive I cant have 5 buns indoors :shock: Is Cherry coping ok with the cold?

I started a thread on this - hope I get an answer and they arent too expensive I cant have 5 buns indoors :shock: Is Cherry coping ok with the cold?

Cherry is still inside. I am worried about Frankie as it is his first winter, plus only had a dental a few weeks ago, although you would never tell.

Not sure what to do for the best. Frankie is in the kennel, so is well protected from all this snow, but Sophie and Frankie are only in a hutch set up :?

Back