• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vet trip? (long post, sorry!)

Loosy

Warren Veteran
Sooooo this is a really long story but I feel like I have to explain it all.

At about the end of November time Pipkin had a dental and at this point I discovered he'd lost quite a bit of weight (he went from just over 1kg to 800g). The vet and I just put it down to the fact that his teeth were bad again, even though I hadn't noticed any difference in his eating.
I thought he'd gain the weight back naturally so other than a few extra pellets and some porridge every now and again I didn't try too seriously to fatten him up again.
A couple of weeks after that I thought I could feel his spine a bit more than normal so I weighed him using some dodgy old kitchen scales and his weight showed as just under 700g (this probably isn't accurate at all but it's all I had). So then I got worried and upped his feeding a lot, and also seperated him and Ruby for feeding. This seemed to work and he went up about 50g in about a week.
But after that first weight gain he didn't really gain any more even though I was feeding him about double what he used to eat. So that brings us to this week, when I made him a vet appointment. The appointment was rather pointless and the only suggestion I had was to feed him ad lib pellets (which I'd rather not do cause he's a bad hay eater anyway - I don't think he'd eat any at all if I did this) and seperate him from Ruby completely for a couple of weeks. The vet said that if he didn't gain any in that time she'd start looking into more serious things that could be wrong.
After that I decided to change vets (which I'd been thinking about for quite a while - my usual good bunny vet had left) and have him checked out somewhere else. So I have an appointment at a different vet for next week (the place was recommended by some people on here). But I weighed him on my dodgy old scales again this morning before he had his breakfast and it looks like he's gone up to about 800g.

So (finally!) the point of the thread is, do you think it still warrants a vet visit, given that he is gaining weight (albeit very, very slowly) and hasn't lost any in a while. I don't really know how quickly they should gain weight but it's like he's had two big-ish leaps but other than that hasn't really gained any.

I'm just confused really, need advice... :oops:

Anyone that actually makes it through this post needs rewarding :shock: Sorry!

Have you panacured him recently? If not this would be my first course of action, it wont do any harm anyway :).

I would keep the appointment anyway and see if the new vet can shed any light. Its quite a quick weight loss, though its fab Pipkin is gaining weight again. Plus best to check this new vet out and get an idea of what they are like before (heaven forbid) you have an emergency.

I think it might be worth going to the vet anyway, just as a check really. As it is a new vet anyway they should both have a visit so the vet can get to know them (just my opinion :wave: )

Ok, think I'll keep the appointment then... I'm just still a bit sore about the fact that I paid £25 for the last appointment that turned out to be kind of pointless pointless :roll: Suppose you never know, though.

And yup I have just panacured them. I only gave them the 9 day course though... maybe I should have done the 28 days...

Ok, think I'll keep the appointment then... I'm just still a bit sore about the fact that I paid £25 for the last appointment that turned out to be kind of pointless pointless :roll: Suppose you never know, though.

And yup I have just panacured them. I only gave them the 9 day course though... maybe I should have done the 28 days...

You only need the 28 days for suspected/confirmed EC.
For regular worming the 9 days is fine :wave:

If my buns have unexplained weight loss i give a 28 day course to be on the safe side :)

Ah, right. I finished the 9 day course last week. If I were to start another course to do it for 28 days would it be ok that soon? I'll see what the vet thinks about it I think... Hoping it's not EC or anything though, heh.

Back