• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flea/Mite advise

Shellypops

Wise Old Thumper
:(Hi just wondered what the best flea stuff I could buy for Bobby would be?? She is scratching a bit, and she did stay in the same house as a cat a few weeks ago. Found some thing that looked a bit like a dead critter of some decription in her fur... Will this be a vet visit or could I buy something over rge counter?

Fleas are not common in rabbits. If it is fleas, they're more likely to be found in the bedding or cage area than on the rabbit. What does the dead critter look like? And does she have any flaky/scabby patches on her skin? She could have mites instead.
You can use medicated shampoo available in pet shops, there's a specific one for bunnies, but it depends on how severe their condition is. If you haven't had any experience with this before and don't know what it is you should take her on the vet.

Fleas are not common in rabbits. If it is fleas, they're more likely to be found in the bedding or cage area than on the rabbit. What does the dead critter look like? And does she have any flaky/scabby patches on her skin? She could have mites instead.
You can use medicated shampoo available in pet shops, there's a specific one for bunnies, but it depends on how severe their condition is. If you haven't had any experience with this before and don't know what it is you should take her on the vet.
Little tiny brown type thing, she looks like she has slight flakes by her neck, will any of the spot ons work?? ... otherwise will take her to the vets :(

i'd take her to the vets and not treat it yourself. there are only certain treatments you can use on rabbits. some that you buy in petshops can be very harmful (even if they say they are for rabbits)

You need to be sure what you're treating, as flea treatments don't usually kill mites and mite treatments don't work on fleas, so it's best to take the rabbit (or the critter if you still have it) to the vet.
I have seen severe flea infestations on rabbits. Fleas are brown, fast moving and about pinhead sized or a little bigger. Advantage from your vet will kill them but might need repeated treatments. Don't use other products designed for dogs and cats as these may be fatal -frontline is particularly dangerous to rabbits.
If the problem is mites (barely visible to the naked eye) xeno 450 or beaphar spot on should sort them out.

You need to be sure what you're treating, as flea treatments don't usually kill mites and mite treatments don't work on fleas, so it's best to take the rabbit (or the critter if you still have it) to the vet.
I have seen severe flea infestations on rabbits. Fleas are brown, fast moving and about pinhead sized or a little bigger. Advantage from your vet will kill them but might need repeated treatments. Don't use other products designed for dogs and cats as these may be fatal -frontline is particularly dangerous to rabbits.
If the problem is mites (barely visible to the naked eye) xeno 450 or beaphar spot on should sort them out.
cool well have seen no more signs and yep kept the critter, will call the vet on mon, she is being taken for claw snip anyway so best off....

Exactly. Mites are more common and there are more treatments for them, but in my experience fleas are much more of a nightmare. Much better to take her to the vet instead of guessing and playing around with meds, and then you'll know what it looks like for the future. (I hope you never need that information, mind :lol:)

My Benj once got fleas as did my dogs wen i was renting for a short time so clearly they were living in the carpet.

I used some spot on i got from the vet which was very strong but did the trick as he was being eaten alive. It made him slightly ataxic and i did ring the vet for advice but it settled down and it killed them all.

I will see if i still have the packet and tell you what it was called

Well she has stopped scratching somuch and havee found nothing else... but she has a check up on thurs so will know more then!:)... hopefully the little critter was just some sort of bug as it was quite big:shock:

If it was fleas they multipy like mad so i doubt that is what you saw as she would be covered by now.

Glad she has stopped scratching

Glad she's stopped scratching :) Hope you get it all sorted on Thurs. Maybe it was something just fancied a quick nibble :lol:

If it was fleas they multipy like mad so i doubt that is what you saw as she would be covered by now.

You're not kidding. Had them once inside the house and had to set off (bunny safe) flea bombs in every room. Was an absolute nightmare cleaning up all the little :censored: afterwards. :roll:

Back